CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Good excuse to clean

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good excuse to clean

I took the punctured rear wheel and the plastic speedo sender off last night and then decided to remove the masterlink chain as well to give the whole under belly a good degreasing, clean up and check. The clutch rod that is about 14" long obviously goes straight through the engine and the hole it leaves when removed would allow access to the sump... obviously I have to be careful to not let anything in there while cleaning the rest of the greasy stuff. With the chain safely out of reach of degreaser, is there any other parts that i should take special care with?

I've also noticed there is a bracket looking thing in the centre of the U formed where the exhaust split to the 2 mufflers. Is there supposed to be anything attached to it? Like part of the plastic mud guard or something?

This is the first time I've pulled this much stuff of a bike and I've been making sure I put all the screws and bolts back in their threads so I know where they are when I'm ready toput it back together but when i pulld the rear axle out, a cylinder fell on the floor and I didn't get a chance to see which way around it is supposed to go. It has a clean 3 or 4mm on one end but optherwise looks symmetrical. Does anyone know if the clean end goes to the swingarm side or the wheel side or does it matter?

I'm learning heaps while I'm going so please bear with me... I hope it won't be long before I stop asking the nubie questions!

Old 05-31-2006, 05:38 PM
dad
Default RE: Good excuse to clean

ORIGINAL: Triangle

I've also noticed there is a bracket looking thing in the centre of the U formed where the exhaust split to the 2 mufflers. Is there supposed to be anything attached to it? Like part of the plastic mud guard or something?

This is the first time I've pulled this much stuff of a bike and I've been making sure I put all the screws and bolts back in their threads so I know where they are when I'm ready toput it back together but when i pulld the rear axle out, a cylinder fell on the floor and I didn't get a chance to see which way around it is supposed to go. It has a clean 3 or 4mm on one end but optherwise looks symmetrical. Does anyone know if the clean end goes to the swingarm side or the wheel side or does it matter?

I'm learning heaps while I'm going so please bear with me... I hope it won't be long before I stop asking the nubie questions!
The bracket on the collector is the "up" stop for the centerstand. It should have a rubber grommet/bumper in the hole on it.

The other part sounds like just a wheel spacer. If that's what it is, they are symmetrical and can be installed either way but it is also the land that the seal rides on so it should be clean and without burrs where the seal rides.

Old 05-31-2006, 10:55 PM

I agree with dad on the wheel spacers. The short one goes on the right side next to the sprocket. The longer one goes next to the brake rotor.

Old 05-31-2006, 11:13 PM

I don't remembe seeing a short one... hmmmm.

also, I took the circular things that are attached to the outside of the front sprocket aff and noticed that the sprocket has some movement rocking toward the engine, not around in the direction the chain pulls but when you grab the sprocket with your fingers, you can pivot the bottom away fromt he engine and the top toward it and vice versa... is this sort of movement normal? Or is it worn?

Old 06-01-2006, 01:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Triangle

I don't remembe seeing a short one... hmmmm.

also, I took the circular things that are attached to the outside of the front sprocket aff and noticed that the sprocket has some movement rocking toward the engine, not around in the direction the chain pulls but when you grab the sprocket with your fingers, you can pivot the bottom away fromt he engine and the top toward it and vice versa... is this sort of movement normal? Or is it worn?
I don't think there should be any movement. Loosen the sprocket bolt and then tighten to 65 lb/ft.