CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

First bike!! New to the forums

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First bike!! New to the forums

Hey my name is Danny. I don't know much about bikes, although I know a little bit. I just recently bought a 87 Honda Hurricane 600 with 13k miles on it. It runs strong, the plastics are bad on it and their are a few minor problems that im having:

when i start my engine, my choke shuts off my engine when I put it on full, although it doesnt need to be on to idle.
I just adjusted my idle so it is about 1500 - 1700 when warm.

I was just wondering if anyone knew how to adjust my choke so it does work properly. I also have horrible plastic on it. They are all there except my upper right fairing, its a little piece, a service fairing maybe. It is all primer right now, most of the plastics are cracked and there are no screws or gromets to mount it to the frame. I was wondering if anyone has input for me to get the bike looking like their is nothing wrong with the body and engine.

Thank you,
Danny

Old 07-02-2006, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First bike!! New to the forums

I'm just redoing some of the plastics myself. What I did instead of the hastle of smoothing out scratches I just bought new sides.BTW 1700 is way too high for idle way toooo high.

Old 07-03-2006, 12:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: First bike!! New to the forums

brian is right, the idle should be set at 1200. since you said you set it at 15-1700 does that mean YOU set it? if you did, then you obviously have already seen the carbs. there are a few things to check on the choke, one make sure your cable is lubed, two you can make adjustments to how much play the cable gets, and three the starter link shaft(its the rod that connects to the carbs to allow the choke to be synchronized between the 4 carbs) could be not working properly, however this is easy, basically a rod attached to the lever at the end of the choke cable, and when you put the choke on, it pushes the bar over thus synchronizing the choke adjustment between all 4 carbs. what you want to check is to see if its getting caught on anything, what happened with mine was there is a screw per carb that screws into the stay wire(the bracket they are mounted on) and 2 of them were not very tight due to bad threads, so we tapped into them and made sure it was a good hold. and if the bike is warm and running already, the choke does not need to be on, it is merely there to help you warm up the bike when it is cold, increases idle to keep bike running during warmup so you dont have to hold the throttle. as far as the plastics, it really depends on your skill level, willingness to spend some money, and the patience and/or time to do the job. you said the plastics are pretty bad, does that mean they are scratched up or actually broken/cracked. if you want to try repairing them se this stuff; http://plastex.home.att.net/ . its basically a plastic weld, but you can also fabricate pieces using their molding bar. if the body is not too bad and are just looking to smooth it out, i would put a layer of bondo over top the paint/primer, smooth and reshoot. of course thats just me.

ok, for the picture, they are carbs obviously; picture indicates as follows:

1. Float bowls are on that side
2. Choke cable attaches here, you CAN make adjustments here
3. Throttle cables here, you can also make adjustments here
4. Idle adjustments, if you adjusted the idle already you know this

[IMG]local://upfiles/5310/02DF8BEAF245406F9B15DD8A58D3EAE3.jpg[/IMG]

DIAGRAM
the starter link shaft is #25, i didnt have a real picture of it

[IMG]local://upfiles/5310/9488C5E88EDA4B84A487D11CC603881B.gif[/IMG]