CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Euh... confused...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Euh... confused...

Hi all,

I'm new here and new to the motorcycle world.

Just bought my first bike, an '88 cbr600 that needs its engine rebuilt. I never worked on a bike before but I know how to use a ratchet and put logic into practice.

Yesterday night I stripped it, took the engine out, opened it and started the analysis. I'm not done checking all the component so I don't yet have a complete list of parts that I need to order.

Reading through a few threads here on the forums, I saw multiple references to http://www.servicehonda.com/parts.php and went to check it out. Now, this is where the dilema starts:

- In the list of possible serial numbers, mine does not correspond. The ones that are listed are JH2PC190xxxxxx (3 times) and JH2PC191xxxxxxx (once). Mine starts with JH2PC192 but it IS a 1988 built in Japan. The only difference is that it was sold in Canada, not the US.
- I looked up some parts and there are multiple 'versions' of the exact same part, different part numbers. For example, in the Right Crankcase Cover section I'll need the #7 - 14mm CAP. The same part is liste 4 times. Also, in the same section, I'll need the #12 O-Ring but there are also two different parts, one 30mm and the other 29.7x2.4

How am I supposed to know which one(s) are the correct ones for my bike? Or, should I look elsewhere, considering that I have the Canadian version?

Any help greatly appreciated
Alex

Old 01-30-2008, 01:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Euh... confused...

hey alex, I'm also canadian with an 87. Have you tried the honda dealer yet? They had lost of parts for mine, and theyre going to be the proper one for canada.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:34 PM

Thanks tds!

Haven't checked with the Honda dealer yet, but I certainly will once I'm done putting together the list of parts I need. At the moment I'm just evaluating my options. I plan on mesuring the cylinder chambers, pistons and cam lobes tonight before I draw any conclusions. By the sheer looks of it, I might just need new rings, head gaskets and valve seats (compression was <100 on all 4).

If the prices are in range and I can get them faster then ordering online, I'll surely get them in store.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:20 PM

do you have a manual for the bike? I know the Clymer one is on here as a sticky somewhere, however I have the Haynes version, that is better designed for a do it yourselfer as the the Haynes manual tells you how to do things without the HONDA specific tools.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:23 PM

Yes, I have the manufacturer shop manual (came with the bike) and also found the Haynes manual (combined manual for the 600/1000 models) online, before I found this site.

Both extremely usefull, especially when you can reference them at the same time

Also found a local shop to take the bore and piston mesure for me since I don't want to buy an expensive precision tool for a one time use. I'm already trying to keep the budget for this project on the low side...

Things aren't moving as fast as I hoped although I'm investing every minute I have into it. OTOH, it's probably better this way... summer isn't exactly close (it's snowing heavily here at this moment) and knowing that I have it ready for a ride with 2 month to go before weather permits it, would be nothing but pure torture :P

Old 02-08-2008, 09:42 AM

A little update:

I just hit a wall. Not literally but as in, I ran out of luck.

At the beginning of this week, I discovered that I got some nasty scratches on two of my cylinders (#2 & #3). I can no longer just replace the rings, now I need to rebore and get oversized pistons & rings. Easier said than done... I've checked with servicehonda, hondapeninsula, Honda NA and with every aftermarket piston manufacturer I could find. Honda discontinued, both the .025 and the .50s while all other companies either no longer do it or they never made/had an oversized bore kit for our bikes.

Bummer... what now? The possibilities I see are:
- get a new (or used, in good condition, if I can find one) cylinder block. It runs at about $600 from Honda NA (but is currently in B.O.) Not the ideal solution IMO
- find out if European spec models share the same cylinder block/piston size and then try to find out if I can get the OS pistons from europe. That way I can go ahead and rebore as initially planned.

What other options do I have? I'm running out of ideas

Any advice greatly appreciated.

PS: it seems that our engines are too reliable, which is the reason nobody makes the pistons (anymore)... go figure

Old 02-08-2008, 12:30 PM

Another update:

ALL piston sizes for this bike discontinued by Honda WORLDWIDE! [:@] Ironically, I can still find the o.s. rings

So, another alternative that just came to mind: order custom pistons. There seems to be an abundance of custom piston manufacturers, although mainly specialized in performance.

Obviously, some concerns have surfaced:
Specs - How would I be able to provide them with the exact specifications of what I need. I only have the standard specs. Could I expect Honda CO. to provide me with the specs of a discontinued part? If so, where/who would one ask for them?
Price - What can I expect a set of custom pistons to cost me? Would it be worth it?
Rings - What about the rings? Would they produce those as well, to go with the pistons? Or do I have to get them elsewhere and make sure the pistons are built to exact spect so that my rings fit?

Sorry about all the (noob?) questions. I don't expect anyone to know all the answers but I got nothing to lose by asking. Bare with me please, I got a destination but no map [&o]

Old 02-08-2008, 02:33 PM

1. what size (cc) do you want to bore engine out to?

2. machine shop or engine shop can measure the pistons for you.

3. look at wiseco, they seem to have pistons for just about any app including rings. once you know wristpin dia and piston skirt length, they can cross reference with pistons that will fit. engine performance shop should be able to help you with this. just make sure that the valve lands are cut into the top of the piston. valve lift and diameter should be listed in manual. you may need this info.

4. i know the cylinders can be bored out to 700cc safely.

5. there should be no need to buy custom slugs especially for a honda unless you plan on doing special engine applications like turbo, etc.

6. even if there is no oversize "kit" for bike, doesn't mean they don't have pistonsfrom other applications that won't fit yours.

7. if you cannot find cylinder bank or slugs that will fit, consider re-sleeving the affected bores. the sleeve gets bored to stock size, you keep your pistons, and get new rings.