CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Electrical Disaster

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 11:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Disaster

Much thanks to Kewl Breeze this post is where it should be!

Old 07-26-2008, 11:57 PM
Default RE: Electrical Disaster

OK

i have come to realize that electrical is officially the worst

last night a connector musta come loose and it melted everything around it

Old 07-26-2008, 11:58 PM

So, I've deduced that its the wiring that goes down to the right side clutch cover into the stator and that i melted the craaap outta the three prong connector, but i was hoping someone knew what gauge wires i should get to replace everything. Also, any ideas how this coulda happened besides the connector coming loose?

thanks guys

Old 07-26-2008, 11:58 PM

Today I took everything apart and discovered this lil' beauty:

Old 07-26-2008, 11:59 PM

sorry for making a zillion posts but ive been trying to post this all day with ZERO success... this finally worked

Old 07-27-2008, 12:17 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only mods/admins can move posts.
I've moved the post for you per your request but please edit your original post with the post you want to make so it can remain in this section. Thanks

p.s. Don't u.se words such as (or intentionally misspell them):
L I K E
U S E
W H I L E
W H E R E
C O M P A R E
if you want better chances of your post making it through and u.se the "Preview" function before clicking "Submit Post" if you want to ensure your post will make it through. If it gives you an error in preview mode, click "Go Back to Post" and find the offending word and change it. (Problems will be fixed soon but for now that's the only way around it). There's a thread in suggestion/help section with more detail.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:20 AM

ORIGINAL: Kewl Breeze

Only mods/admins can move posts.
I've moved the post for you per your request but please edit your original post with the post you want to make so it can remain in this section. Thanks

p.s. Don't u.se words such as (or intentionally misspell them):
L I K E
U S E
W H I L E
W H E R E
C O M P A R E
if you want better chances of your post making it through and u.se the "Preview" function before clicking "Submit Post" if you want to ensure your post will make it through. If it gives you an error in preview mode, click "Go Back to Post" and find the offending word and change it. (Problems will be fixed soon but for now that's the only way around it). There's a thread in suggestion/help section with more detail.
Thank you very much! i will edit that in a second.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:43 AM

OK, update:
i just got back from both autozone and pepboys. neither carry three pin connectors.

i picked up some 18 gauge wire, but after comparing it to the yellow wires on the bike it seems that the yellows are even smaller. if i cut the yellow and crimp it to the 18 gauge would that do the trick?

Also, anyone know the exact purpose of the three pin connectors besides making it simple to disconnect the wires to work on the non-electrical stuff? if thats the case, can i just conn3ct them? (making sure not to let them touch each other? i could us3 single pin connectors on each of the three wires... i have some of those

thanks guys

Old 07-27-2008, 02:20 PM

ORIGINAL: smokingmole

OK, update:
i just got back from both autozone and pepboys. neither carry three pin connectors.

i picked up some 18 gauge wire, but after comparing it to the yellow wires on the bike it seems that the yellows are even smaller. if i cut the yellow and crimp it to the 18 gauge would that do the trick?

Also, anyone know the exact purpose of the three pin connectors besides making it simple to disconnect the wires to work on the non-electrical stuff? if thats the case, can i just conn3ct them? (making sure not to let them touch each other? i could us3 single pin connectors on each of the three wires... i have some of those

thanks guys

Yes , you are correct and using some bullet connectors will do just fine. It seems that your melting connector problem is a common one, because the connection became loose and corroded over time. Go back to Pep Boys/ Autozone and get some little packets of dielectric grease. Since you have the tank off, disconnect those other connectors, clean them, and put some of the grease inside each connector.Also check for tightness. If one of those blade connectors seems loose , then give it a little squeeze with a pair of needle nose pliers and then reassemble. It doesn't matter which yellow wire get connected to which yellow wire. They can be connected in any order .Be sure that your crimps are good, again I would recommend insulated bullet connectors.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Billistic

Yes , you are correct and using some bullet connectors will do just fine. It seems that your melting connector problem is a common one, because the connection became loose and corroded over time. Go back to Pep Boys/ Autozone and get some little packets of dielectric grease. Since you have the tank off, disconnect those other connectors, clean them, and put some of the grease inside each connector.Also check for tightness. If one of those blade connectors seems loose , then give it a little squeeze with a pair of needle nose pliers and then reassemble. It doesn't matter which yellow wire get connected to which yellow wire. They can be connected in any order .Be sure that your crimps are good, again I would recommend insulated bullet connectors.
Billistic! Thanks, I did exactly that and it worked perfectly! i also picked up some contact cleaner (in addition to the dielectric grease) to clean the 21 year old connectors... i was a little freaked out to start it up again, this being my first electrical experience and realizing that i could blow the entire charging system, but she came back to life perfectly! I'll throw up some pics later tonight... Thanks for the help!