CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Couple problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple problems

I hate to admit it but I bought a peice of garbage. I posted about this earlier but this time the bike would not start. This morning Itried to start it and the POS did not cooperate! The engine would turn but it would not start. It started for a split second then it died. I had the choke on and had the gas turned to on but no dice. Any ideas.
Also I think my tranny exploded...last night when I was leaving the gas station a heard something break. I looked down and back and I saw nothing so I kept on going. Later when I came up to a light I down shifted to first gear. It used more presure than I usually do to get it in first. Since last night I noticed that it has an oil leak where I think the tranny is. So my question is how much does it cost to repair something like this???
Thanks guys.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Couple problems

1. can you shift the bike into gear? 1st or 2nd?

2. can you find where the leak is coming from?

3. have you checked the amount of oil in the bike?

4. if you drain the oil, do you find any metal bits.

5. are you getting a weak spark or strong spark?

6. is the fuel delivery okay from tank to carbs to cylinder?

7. is the engine getting flooded?

8. has the bike ever gone in for a tuneup?

9. what is history of bike, used/abused, well taken care of, negleted?

Old 03-29-2008, 04:51 PM

Today I tried to start the bike just for kicks and giggles and it started right up...So I said "what the heck" and took it out for a spin.
1. Yes, I can shift into first and second gear. I can actually go through all of the gears.
2. To be honest I have no idea where it's coming from, but I posted pics.
3. I checked the amount of oil an the bike and it has way too much ( i think). I thought it did not have any oil becuase when I checked it, it looked like it was bone dry. I bought an oil filter and 3 quarts of oil. I poured all of the bottles in and I checked it again, and agian it seemed like it had no oil. I then thought what if I stand the bike (because it was leaning to a side since it was on the stand). I then saw that it had more then it needed.
4. When I changed the oil I saw no metal bits.
5-7. I have no idea (I know nothing about motorycycles or cars for that matter).
8. I just bought the bike. The guy who had it before me said he had given it a tune up, but I doubt it.
9. It looks beat up but I dont know if it has been abused or not. I think it may have been neglected but I'm not 100% sure.
Thanks.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:27 PM

okay, so maybe you don't have a shifting problem and maybe you have too much oil. with oil filter change, you should be putting in 3.4 qts. of oil. there is a section of the dipstick that is checkered as you already know and oil should not be above the top line of the checker.

in the picture, i can't tell what the oil mark looks like. so is it runny/drippy or gummy/thick? if it is runny, maybe you have a leak which i don't think you do. i think the spot is thick which means it could be chain lube that has run down and built up on the joint. my guess is that if you took that sprocket cover off, you'd find it pretty messy.

if it started right up after you let it sit a night, i'm not really sure what that could mean. has anything that you experienced in your first post happened again? hell, maybe the bike does need a tuneup.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:34 AM

lol, yeah it's chain lube build up. On the 29th it started fine with out any problems and I had none of the previous symptoms. Yesterday, it was fairly easy to start. It died at a light but fortunately it started without a problem.
Yeah I think a tune up is a good idea. wish1267 had already recommended and I have been working on it. Unfortunately, I cant have a shop do it becuase I dont have that kind of cash. I'm ganna do it my self (it's about time I learn how to work on motorcycles...at least know how to do a tune up)
I see where the spark plugs are but how do you take them out??
I have been looking for the fuel filter and air filter, but I realized that I dont know what I'm looking for. Where are they? Are they easy to replace?
Thanks

Old 03-31-2008, 12:18 PM

sparkplug removal is either loosening them up and getting a rubber tube to put over the top to pull them out or using a magnetic wand to pull them out, or loosening up the radiator and moving it aside for more access clearance. either way, you'll have to exercise some patience.

fuel filter - to get to that remove the left side tail fairing. it will be a couple inches away from the fuel shutoff valve. next inline will be the fuel pump.

air filter is located under the gas tank. to get to that, remove the left and right side tail fairings, unbolt the seat and put aside. to remove the tank, remove bolts holding tank from front and rear. lift up tank and put in area where seat would be. no need to remove fuel line. and the less fuel you have the lighter the tank will be. once the tank is moved off, unbolt the airbox cover. replace filter and put everything back.

fuel filter will take 5-10 min.

air filter will take 10-15 min. and another 10 minutes to put everything back.

sparkplugs will take about half hour or more.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:44 PM

Thanks for all the help!! I'll post my results later on.