CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Couple of issues.. rode 300kms

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of issues.. rode 300kms

Hey all,

so I had the hurricane out this weekend friday, saturday and sunday after it rained, (left the bike out in the rain).
keep in mind I just bought this bike haven't even checked the air filter or anything really...

got home dried her off and started her up... rode for about 2 and half hours flawlessly.......
got to a friends, was there for 5 minutes idling. left and it started to run like it was running out of gas, so I switched it to reserve and it ran better but still felt like there was something up....

then I got to the gas station and I found the tank to only be half empty, (16l tank only put in 8.5l) refilled turn the switch back to on and she rode fairly normally home.
what could cause it to run like it was running out of gas?

I am thinking about doing both fuel filters (one on the petcock and the external one) and doing a carb clean and adjust and sync, an air filter.....

anyone have any ideas other then that?.... i figure once I do all of that get it all back to factory specs it should eliminate any issues with fueling.( since I've already done a tune up, plugs, wires, oil change, coolant flush)

secondly.... again was riding all weekend no problems,

now my front brake lever is sticky, so I decided to do some more diagnosing, and it seems as if the master is sticking when the lever first pushes on the piston plunger. when I mean sticking I mean it doesn't feel smooth it feels like it's binding.

should I order a master cylinder rebuild kit and slap in new cup seals and springs ?

should that solve the sticking issue, or does anyone on here know of any quick fixes for that issue?

thanks for the input .. any is greatly appreciated.

-Lee

Old 03-30-2009, 04:33 PM

Well the fuel thing could be a number of things. 1) how long has the bike been sitting, all winter? the fuel might be bad. 2) Something got wet like the airfilter etc 3) The bike has been carboned up so it's running rough 4) Needs a slight tuneup
But these bikes idle naturally a little rough, if it's parked and idling a bit rough I'd just give it a bit of choke (remember to take the choke off before riding again)

For the brake thing. Id grease the bolt that holds the lever on, and reset the brake line first(you might need a new brake line)
If it was the master cyclinder, it would feel spongey, like if there was nothing there. It would still brake but the lever would go all the way in, same with the rear brake. So if the rear one is working properly you can probley rule that out.
Is the lever returning quickly and back in place?

good luck man

Old 03-30-2009, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by thegreenbandit
Well the fuel thing could be a number of things. 1) how long has the bike been sitting, all winter? the fuel might be bad. 2) Something got wet like the airfilter etc 3) The bike has been carboned up so it's running rough 4) Needs a slight tuneup
But these bikes idle naturally a little rough, if it's parked and idling a bit rough I'd just give it a bit of choke (remember to take the choke off before riding again)

For the brake thing. Id grease the bolt that holds the lever on, and reset the brake line first(you might need a new brake line)
If it was the master cyclinder, it would feel spongey, like if there was nothing there. It would still brake but the lever would go all the way in, same with the rear brake. So if the rear one is working properly you can probley rule that out.

good luck man
The bike idles completely fine, when warm, even after like 1 minute on choke when cold, it sat all winter, however I've already gone through over a tank of gas so that old gas should be gone by now.

as for the brakes......

I can grease the pivot bolt tomorrow.
what do you mean as far as reset the brake line?

the lever returns quickly so I know the return spring in the master is okay.
right back to the proper position, would you suggest that I remove the lever all together and see if the master moves freely to rule out the master ?

thanks again for the input

-Lee

Old 03-30-2009, 05:59 PM

even though you have new gas in it, the gas sitting in the float bowls gums up the carbs. I think the maintenance/ check up list you have is a good start. Search around this forum there is a lot of good info/answers to your questions on here

Old 03-30-2009, 11:31 PM

Mine will run rough sometimes when it gets hot, acts like there is a lack of fuel and then after a few minutes, returns to normal. Never have figured out why. Usually when very hot , like driving around town in the summer.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Billistic
Mine will run rough sometimes when it gets hot, acts like there is a lack of fuel and then after a few minutes, returns to normal. Never have figured out why. Usually when very hot , like driving around town in the summer.
ya it was like only a brief hickup....... for literally like 5 seconds, but enough for me to notice ... so as I said I switched to reserve and then switched back after I filled up and it seemed fine ...

thanks for the input I'll start with the basics, just the fuel filters and the air filter.... see if she runs better.... because up until that point of the weekend it was hauling asssssssssssssssssssssssss.....................

scared the **** out of me a couple of times....... just the shear power..

-Lee

Last edited by jacked600; 03-31-2009 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by thegreenbandit

good luck man
well you were correct.

I removed and cleaned and lubricated the front brake lever, and the symptoms are gone.... works like butter..... looks like you just saved me 35 bux ... I owe you a beer... haha....

thanks man

-Lee