CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

cooling question

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cooling question

Well i got done fightering my bike and been driving it around. fixed all the problems and its running great getting 52-54mpg cant complain. but thats besides the point. i have noticed when riding the bike specially when its cool outside the bike will not get warmer than 125 degrees f at idle and sitting there it will climb steady but not fast. when its warmer out the most ill see is about 150 degrees f and in about 5 minutes it can reach 180-190 degrees easy sitting in traffic. now i dont have the stock thermo switch and i replaced it with a autometer gauge and pod (more accurate but it will get some bounce from vibrations should of gotten a liquid filled) i believe it does have a tstat and the water pump is working but riding around even with 80+ degrees it wont see anything higher. im just wondering what everyone is seeing riding around with air coming thru the rad. im thinkin of replacing the tstat and water pump but if everyone else is experiencing these temps i might as well say forget it. let me know

Old 04-30-2008, 07:44 PM
Default RE: cooling question

I don't really know what your temps mean compared to the stock gauge (that's all I have.)

Your water pump is probably just fine, its a very simple mechanism and if it failed, you'd know right away from the HORRIBLE sounds that would probably emanate from your left foot area.

One thing to consider is that your t-stat may be stuck OPEN, which allows the water to pass through the radiator ALL THE TIME., and makes it hard for your engine to get to proper operating temp.

A thermostat can stick either way, open or closed. You can pull it out and test it in your kitchen in a pot of boiling water.

150-190 degress isn't really a problem, but honestly, I dont' know where that is on the factory gauge. Do you know?

Old 04-30-2008, 07:55 PM

i did not think about the horrible sound coming from the left foot position. i know most automobiles wont make horrable sounds when the water pump goes bad it will either overheat, leak out of the weep hole, excessive bearing noise and sometimes a little squeeking noise. thank you for that info. what actually drives the water pump on this bike. its quiet over on that side but on the right side on the other hand i have excessive clutch noise im thinkin of runnin heavier clutch springs. i would say 125 on the stock guage is right above the thick red line where c is and i would say actually 180 is about middle and 150 is about middle between the thick red like and middle cuz i know above middle more like 3/4 to close to h is where the cooling fan turns on. on the stock guage where does your needle rest

Old 04-30-2008, 08:35 PM

The water pump is direct gear drive, and it's really simple. It would be really hard for it to fail.

My bike runs at about 1/3 on the gauge (under the middle) but it can get up to about 3/4 if I get 4 or 5 long stoplights in a row , on a warm day.

I don't really think you have a 'problem', honestly. But it's always cool to know the most you can about stuff.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:43 PM

ive had issues with my cars overheating and i am very picky on that sort of stuff. i havnt had this motor cracked and i really didnt see much in the manual so ya. im ase certified in automotive work but bikes can differ a little more than bikes.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:24 PM

it should run about 160-190(if its real hot outside) and your fan should cut on about 200 if you stop or traffic

Old 04-30-2008, 10:35 PM

Don't think you have anything to worry about. Unless there's heavy traffic on a hot day, my temp gauge never goes even half-way. Mind you, temperatures around here have been anything but hot lately, 70F being the hottest my bike has seen since I got it. Haven't had a ride in the past 4 days, rain and sub 40F weather being the culprit. While idling, it will get right up there, which tells me it's running right and I got no stuck tstat.

I rather have it runnig cold than hot. Than again, can't get optimal FE if it's not running at optimal temp.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:51 AM

aye whit dae yea meen bye hot, its always cauld heer, a kilt an sum porrige wil cure the ting. up ye enlish dags