CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Cooling fan will not operate.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 04:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cooling fan will not operate.

Ok well this has a few more questions that you would expect. My cooling fan would not turn on with the bike running hot. reason is because the switch on the rad isnt hooked up. However, the pervious previous (2 owners ago)owner i'm assuming had the same problem (i assume) because the fan was hooked to a toggle switch on the side fairing. (Mickeymouse strikes again) Then the guy i bought it off of removed the toggle and the wires to it. So now i need to know what would cause this problem in the first place with it wired correctly? Bad switch? and second thing i need to know is where should the wiring be routed? from the fan? is there a relay somewhere?

Old 11-28-2007, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cooling fan will not operate.

I'm pretty sure the fan isn't supposed to turn on until you're REALLY hot anyway, almost all the way to the H.

The fan gets positive voltage up top, from the harness, and if you look on the radiator on the bottom left, the thermoswitch for the fan is right there. The negative lead from the fan hooks up there. The connection is open until it reaches the right temp, and then when it gets hot it grounds to the radiator, and your fan turns on.

That thermoswitch can get bad over the years, but it's really easy to replace. The fan motor could also go bad, too, but I doubt it.

If you want to hook the toggle switch back up, like the other guy had it, then find the negative lead of the fan (black, no multipin connector) and switch it to any good ground point and that should do it.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks i'll try that tomorrow, no the poor ol girl was right on the H. the switch on the rad isnt even hooked up, so all i would need to do is replace that switch in the rad then hook up the negative to it?

Old 11-28-2007, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, find the negative lead of the fan and touch it to any ground point with the key on. Engine, frame, whatever. It should turn on.

If not, then you need to see if you've got the +positive lead hooked up to the fan. There should be a white multipin connector next to the fan, unless the PO messed it up.

If it does work when you touch the ground wire to the frame, then that's good. NEXT, you need to decide if you want to use the toggle switch you have, or the actual thermoswitch.

You can buy a new thermoswitch ( i cant remember but I think it's 40 bucks or something.) or use that toggle switch for free. Run the ground wire into one side, out the other side, to a ground point. then you're DONE.

Here's a scan of a wiring diagram, courtesy of your friend and moderator, rrasco.

http://www.cbrextreme.com/downloads/...%20Diagram.jpg