General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 f3 wont operate with open throttle

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 f3 wont operate with open throttle

i recently bought a 98 honda cbr 600 f3 and after fixing the battery, reg/rec i took my bike out for a long ride, probly rode 150 miles in the day, while pulling into my drive way the bike sputtered out and wouldnt start, i pulled the carbs and gave them a good cleaning. after reassembling the bike would run so i took it out for a test drive and it runs fun, but once i give it 3/4th - open throttle it wont push, it kinda feels like its getting to much gas, which makes me think that i didnt screw in the main jets enough but i could be wrong

Old 05-27-2013, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

The main jets are of a fixed size and are screwed in until they stop. The slow jet is as well. The only one that is adjustable is the Idle Air mixture screw and that doesn't have much if any affect when you're at 3/4 throttle.

I'd check and verify that you have all the hoses put back where their supposed to be. Since you took the carburetors apart, check to see if the vacuum diaphragm is seated properly and that you don't have a leak.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:12 PM

i know for a fact all the hoses are connected properly because this was the first time i have even seen a carburetor so i took a lot of precaution on disassembling. i took a lot of pictures and used a marker. is the vacuum diaphragm the air box? or the 2 large hoses that connect to it? the first time i took the carbs apart i screwed everything in till it was seated. and the engine wouldnt turn on. so i took apart the carbs recleaned them and im pretty sure i screwed in the main jet( if im correct this is the jet that comes apart into 2 pieces) until it seated and then i unscrewed it maybe 1/2 - 1 full turn. im neglecting taking apart the bike again until i have a little more insight because unscrewing the clamps on the a hoses that go into the manifold is a real *****!

Old 05-28-2013, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by stevepet
so i took apart the carbs recleaned them and im pretty sure i screwed in the main jet( if im correct this is the jet that comes apart into 2 pieces) until it seated and then i unscrewed it maybe 1/2 - 1 full turn.
This is more than likely the problem.
make sure they are fully seated and try again.

In theory, when you unscrewed the main jet a full turn you made it sit a MM or so below its intended height. This is bad because the needles are tapered. so instead of the jet having an opening of say .030MM2 (millimeters squared) it is now resting at say .040 MM2. which means you are getting quite a bit more gas through the main jet than originally intended for the bike.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:54 PM

Honda Motorcycle Parts 1998 CBR600F3 A CARBURETOR COMPONENTS Diagram
The vacuum diaphragm is the big flexible rubber part with the square center that the needle and spring goes through (#22 on the diagram). Everything gets screwed in fully , except the pilot screw or idle air mixture screw (same thing). The pilot screw is the one that is at the bottom of the bowl and has an oring, spring and washer (#6 in the diagram). If you didn't record how many turns this screw was in before you took it out, then you need to reinstall it at the initial setting that your service manual will tell you and possibly adjust from there (u do have a manual , don't you?). You may have not reseated something correctly, like IDoDirt said. Be very careful with that diaphragm. My guess is that u didn't put the carbs back correctly. Post back if u need to.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:14 PM

thank you very much, i'm pretty sure that i dont have the main jet fully seated. im gunna rip into it tomorrow now that i have more insight. so the needle in that black vacuum diaphragmthing, that goes into the main jet?

Old 05-28-2013, 11:43 PM

It goes into the needle jet which is in the center of the carb, right over the main jet. Check out the how to mechanical section-how to clean your carbs thread if you like

Old 05-29-2013, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by cc rider
It goes into the needle jet which is in the center of the carb, right over the main jet. Check out the how to mechanical section-how to clean your carbs thread if you like

i live off the how to section. thanks guys! i took apart the carbs and the carb on each end had the main jet almost dangling out. tighten her up and put her back together before the rain hit and she rips!!!