CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

The cold weather is drawing in.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 03:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The cold weather is drawing in.

So. Its a cold, damp morning in the costal city of Portsmouth (UK) and at half seven I jump on my '88 CBR 600 to ride to work whilst smugly overtaking all the cars in traffic (or so I hoped). The engine ticked over once, I didn't take advantage and it died. AND WOULD IT RESTART? not a snowball's chance in hell. Anyway this leads me to a dilemma;

(I am in the process of moving in with the missus and haven't got any garaging facilites in my new place).

1. The panels are going to be taken off and resprayed, complete overhaul is going to take place, brake pads, oil - the usual, and a stage 2 jet kit is going to sneak its way in there as well (airbox to be drilled and K&N filter, got nexxus exhaust on it at the moment). For this to happen the old girl is to be garaged at my old man's workshop all safe and snug.

2. I keep the bike on the driveway and gamble with my emotions everytime I want to use the bike on a cold morning until its too cold and has to be put away.

I either begin working on the bike which will be stored an hour from where I am going to live therefore not being able to use it until spring, or I bitterly refuse to give up the ultimate pleasure of riding to work until they have to prize my fingers from the handlebars due to frostbite.

What would you recommend and does anyone have any tips for the cold mornings? I've heard spraying things like WD40 and Start You B*****d! do work but they damage engines in the long run.

Regards,

Old 09-28-2009, 08:29 PM

I would think that a little bit of ether/starting fluid will not do any harm if you can get it into the airbox.... have you tried to keep the bike covered with a good MC cover so that it is as dry as possible?

Old 09-29-2009, 03:49 AM

I do have an MC cover but it was given to me by a friend and it has seen better days.

I also didn't realise that you should turn the engine over without any choke to 'dry' the system before using the choke which will make it easier to ignite the fuel.

Thanks though, thinking about it a new cover would be a good idea.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:38 PM

full choke and mine starts even when it is 15-20* F when I take those few ventures out in the winter. I would say clean and adjust the carbs and make sure it is in good running order

Old 10-05-2009, 11:49 PM

It should easily start down to 0 c /32 f.

Hows your battery? They are usually the weak part when things get chilly.

KongBastard

Old 10-06-2009, 05:21 AM

I would say the battery is a little bit suspect but as of yesterday a plan I was brewing has fallen into place. The bike has been put in the garage and partially stripped so I could get the tank off and drain it.

I've got the ok from someone to spray my bike, (for no more than a few packets of tobacco and a crate or two) and the tank is going to be the test run - mostly because the paint is knackered (can sprayed bodycoat from previous owner).

As for the battery, i'm going to trickle charge it over the next few months every now and again and see how it goes.

Now the bike is garaged I hope to get the carbs off and put in a stage 2 kit so ill give everything a good clean before I start.