CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Clutch maybe????

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch maybe????

ok so i adjusted my valves and i had trouble getting it running after that, i had to buy a new coil and i finally got it started and everything was good except when i tried riding it. when i start off i slowly let go of the clutch and i start go forward, and as long as i slowly turn the throttle, then the bike will keep accelerating, but when i give it a little more gas it doesn't accelerate it just revs, it seems to me like the clutch is not fully letting go when i release the lever. And one more thing usually when i start my bike its in neutral and i let it warm up for a bit then i pull the clutch lever in and put it in 1st. When i do this the bike jumps kinda forward, but now it doesn't jump at all. anyone got ideas

Old 10-04-2007, 12:07 AM
Default RE: Clutch maybe????

Make sure your clutch lever has a little play in it. The lever should not be tight when you're not touching it; you should be able to shake it a little with your hand and pull it a little before the cable grabs. It goes down and onto the crankcase cover on the right by the alt and the inspection hole. You can adjust it there or at the handle until it has a little play.

You're almost there, now!

Old 10-04-2007, 03:01 PM

i adjusted it till it has a little play i got a little better but still having the same problem

Old 10-04-2007, 03:26 PM

Could be one of two things. Your master cylinder may not be letting the pressure off the slave, i.e. a restriction in the return passage, or your slave could be sticki ng. Either way, it sounds like the clutch is gonna be fried once you find the problem.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:23 PM

how much does a clutch go for these days and when i took my crankcase off there was a pin that seemed like it was pushing on the clutch and it fell off when i was putting the crankcase cover back on. could it be that i didn't put the parts back together correctly when i put the crankcase cover back on?

Old 10-05-2007, 02:04 AM

Yes you have to make sure that pin stays in the right spot in the cover when you put it back on. It's a lot easier if you have a centerstand or rear wheel stand. It's possible it might have fallen off the last time, but that would make the clutch engage all the time, not slip. And that pin would probably have been munched in your crankcase.

sometimes you can put it back on with the little clutch rod thing in the wrong position. Make that the arm on top is all the way towards the back of the bike and then put the pin in, when you "pull" the arm towards the front of the bike it should be pushing that pin towards the clutch.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:21 AM

if youre not sure what youre doing (and no OFFENSE IS MEANT BY THIS) take it to a shop...
buy your parts first to cut down the cost, but it always makes me cringe when someone says "maybe i didnt put it back together right" especially in "that" area of the bike....could cause MAJOR problems with your engine if a bot gets into your crankcase....MAJOR~!

Old 10-05-2007, 03:37 PM

well i know i put it back right now because i took it apart again and the the arm didn't go all the way to the back of the bike it kinda went to the middle back part of the crankcase cover, but i made sure that when i rotate that arm to the front of the bike the pin pushes into the clutch. but i am not sure what i could have done all i did when i did the adjustment is follow procedure. i took of the cylinder head cover, the crankcase cover turned the bolt to turn the motor over and checked and adjusted all of my valves, but now my clutch is all messed up. ive tried adjust the cable and looked to see if i put that part in wrong, but i've done everything right so maybe my bike is just a pos

Old 10-05-2007, 04:25 PM

Don't get frustrated, you'll get it.

Next time, don't take the whole cover off. Just take off the inspection cover so you can turn the bolt.

For now, pull the cover off and push the arm to about a right angle to the cover and put the pin in. Make sure the arm is pushed all the way down into the cover, so the part that's on the outside is flush with the top of the cover. There's a hole in the shaft of the arm that the pin fits into when it's right. Then you can let go of it and the pin will pretty much stay there, and when you move the arm it will push the pin towards the clutch.

Also make sure that the spring around the arm-shaft thing is doing it's job.. Put the cover back on carefully and (with your clutch cable unhooked) move the arm forward. It should move freely for 1/4" to 1/2" and then you should be able to feel (the pin) contact the clutch mechanism. You shouldn't be able to push it farther with your hand. THEN, hook up your clutch cable and make sure the arm is still loose like it was without the cable on it. Tighten the cable up until it pulls the arm to that resistance point and then back it off a little bit. That hopefully will help out.