CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

CBR600 F1 startup/crank troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 06:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You've checked the 30amp fuse at the solenoid?

Old 02-20-2011, 06:40 PM

I believe my starter geer is locked up. I cant get it to roll in and gear. Can anyone give me info on how to fix this please!

Old 02-20-2011, 07:22 PM

Yep that fuse is good! My gear that engages the.starter is jammed. Thats the prob

Old 02-20-2011, 08:28 PM

its either that or I cant find neutral.. but the display says im in neutral and i can roll it when im in neutral. but when i put it into gear and couldnt even roll the baack wheel when i dropped the clutch. Im pretty sure the starter motor clutch is stuck. could be faulty. but either way cant turn the engine. Let me know what you guys think.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:35 PM

Sounds like a neutral safety issue. I'd bet that you're not actually in neutral and it's just indicating that you are. Not sure how the switch setup on your bike works but it could keep it from cranking. Play with the shift lever a bit.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:42 PM

Go into the off topic section and look for the manuals thread. You can download a copy of the service manual and go through the section that covers the starter.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:49 PM

already have a copy of the manual. Im pretty sure its reading neutral correctly. Because the bike will roll when the indicator is green.. then when i pput it into gearit wont roll. its just stuck. It has some play in it but the second I drop the clutch bam it wont roll back or foward. In one gear I actually could hear the starter turning when i pushed foward (not sure on the gear) like the starter clutch was still engaged. Im pretty sure the timing is correct on the cam because I started the bike up just the other day and it ran great. Im pretty sure this starter clutch has failed or is stuck engaged. any pointers on an easy fix? probably shouldnt have cranked it for that long without a break.. does anybody know of any other possible problems? or a way I can fix it without taking it apart?

Old 02-20-2011, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by craywm
already have a copy of the manual. Im pretty sure its reading neutral correctly. Because the bike will roll when the indicator is green.. then when i pput it into gearit wont roll. its just stuck. It has some play in it but the second I drop the clutch bam it wont roll back or foward. In one gear I actually could hear the starter turning when i pushed foward (not sure on the gear)
The bold part is normal....

The other part isn't but are you sure it's not just the sound of your chain??

Old 02-20-2011, 09:15 PM

im pretty sure it was the starter. I hope i didnt grind a gear down.. Im just going to open up that starter cover and figure out the clutch issue. I tested everything with a multimeter and was picking up around 18v through the solenoid when i pushed the start button. ordered a new solenoid for the heck of it. Do you guys think this could be a valve timing issue?

Old 02-20-2011, 09:33 PM

So when you push the starter button nothing happens? No click from the relay? I would test the contacts in the thumb switch. I think quite a few of us have had luck cleaning and lubing the switch with dielectric grease.

Quick Reply: CBR600 F1 startup/crank troubleshooting