CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

carburator floats

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 10:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carburator floats

want replace the carb floats in my 88 hurricane. do the floats need to be relaced or do they just need to be cleaned, and when takin the floats out is there a chance you could knock the carbs out of syncronization, is there anything i need to be careful of or need to look out for. ive never taken the carbs apart so any insight would be greatly appriciated

Old 06-09-2011, 11:50 PM

it really depends on the shape the floats are in. my carbs leaked and we opened up the float bowls and there was some dirt in there. but the floats were fine. just inspect them when you open it up. post a pic if you're unsure and you can get a better opinion. as far as the synchronization, i'm not sure. hopefully theres a senior member who can answer that haha

Old 06-10-2011, 09:49 PM

cool. thanks for the advice dude. but now i have a question about the fuel pump. i just picked up this 88 hurricane that doesent run. ive been pokin around troubleshooting it and the other day i pulled the fuel line running from the pump to the carbs off the carb side, stuck it in a bottle and cranked the engine over. no fuel came out. im not really familiar with a carburator setup but shouldnt the pump be pumping fuel out out this line, even just when the key is in the on position much less when the engine is being cranked over? any help with this would be great as its hard to find a fuel pump for these bikes without breaking my bank.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:37 AM
Default yeah

Originally Posted by landfast
cool. thanks for the advice dude. but now i have a question about the fuel pump. i just picked up this 88 hurricane that doesent run. ive been pokin around troubleshooting it and the other day i pulled the fuel line running from the pump to the carbs off the carb side, stuck it in a bottle and cranked the engine over. no fuel came out. im not really familiar with a carburator setup but shouldnt the pump be pumping fuel out out this line, even just when the key is in the on position much less when the engine is being cranked over? any help with this would be great as its hard to find a fuel pump for these bikes without breaking my bank.
yeah, it should be pumping through to carbs. i'm not sure about if it does that with just the electronics on, bet i believe not. but when you turn the engine on it should pump gas through. although, i don't know enough about the fuel pump to really give you any advice further that that, sorry. but i hope for your sake its an easier fix than replacing the pump because it would be expensive

Old 06-13-2011, 05:56 PM

yeah dude just bypassed the fuel pump relay yesterday and she fired right up! friggen pumped!