CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Carb choke linkage issue - any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb choke linkage issue - any ideas?

Hi,
This is my first post on here - here goes
I have a 1990 600 & a couple of months back pulled the carbs off & cleaned them all up.
I finally got around to starting the bike up today.
It took a bit of persuasion, but considering it has no air box or can on it at the moment I felt it ran quite well considering it last ran nearly 3 years ago & then that was only briefly too!
The problem I have is that the choke linkage isn't working, I am having to use 3 screwdrivers to open the chokes. The carb on the right works ok as the rod is directly attached to it.
When I had them off I cleaned the long rod up & it moves freely through the carb bodies, but just wont open the chokes when it's all connected up.
Is there a knack to setting the rod up - I can't see anything in the manual. The cable pulls okay by the way - when the carbs were off the bike it didn't work right by pulling on the rod!
Any suggestions greatly received
Cheers,
Impman71

Old 03-10-2012, 10:10 AM

on each carb. theres that bracket deal that the choke rod goes through, and each of them has a screw except the last one, because its like the base. when the choke isnt being pulled you have to tighten these screws and make sure that when you pull the choke that its opening all the carbs the same. ill see if i can maybe post a picture or two later

Old 03-10-2012, 12:52 PM
Registered Users

Thanks Sandrailman.
Pics would be appreciated.
I'm wondering if those little brackets are slightly out of true, when I cleaned them up I spent ages trying to get them to work, but they just wouldn't all pull out at the same time!
I'm hoping to take another look on Tuesday.
Cheers

Old 03-12-2012, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by sandrailman
on each carb. theres that bracket deal that the choke rod goes through, and each of them has a screw except the last one, because its like the base. when the choke isnt being pulled you have to tighten these screws and make sure that when you pull the choke that its opening all the carbs the same. ill see if i can maybe post a picture or two later
Yep, it's hard to get them on once you've pushed the rod all the way through too. If you get them over the connection point on the carb, and then push the main rod through after it all lines up nicely. Don't forget to tighten down the screws on them, or else they do nothing.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:27 PM
Old 06-08-2012, 06:16 PM
Registered Users

Thanks Sandrailman, I feel a rite **** for not thanking you before, sorry, I thought I had!
Another bike arrived a little while ago, that has also turned into a project
Your video helped (I had the carbs back off the other day), I had straightened the bracket that is pushed by the lever mechanism thinking this might have been the cause, but could see on yours in the vid, that it's meant to be curved!
I unscrewed the 2 left hand locking screws & concentated on getting the linkage to work properly on the 2nd from right carb. Ended up bending the claws so that they were pulling the pin on the carb parellel & now the chokes are working properly on all 4 carbs .
I just need some dry weather now, so I can get on & do a bit more to it!
Cheers,
Colin