CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

California Bike-Removing emissions system

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007 | 09:12 PM
Default California Bike-Removing emissions system

I'm rebuilding and jetting my carbs tomorrow, installing a K and N air filter, and installing the SuperTrapp slip-on tomorrow.

It turns out the California model, which I unwittingly purchased, is significantly detuned compared to the 49 state model-the timing is retarded about 7 degrees, for example. Also, it takes 91 octane versus 87.

Anyway, I want to remove the emissions system, but am concerned it won't work if done wrong. Has anyone successfully removed the entire emissions system off one of these? What do I need-it looks like there are about 20 feet of vacuum line connecting all the parts. Do I just have the trace the lines back to their source and then plug them somehow? Is there something special used for the plugs, or is it some kind of ruber cap or something?

Old 02-18-2007 | 10:50 PM
Default RE: California Bike-Removing emissions system

the only thing i can think of is to get the diagrams for the emission system from both models and compare them together to see what is missing from one model versus the other. as for what to plug the end of the hose with, just use a screw that will fit snugly on the end.

Old 02-18-2007 | 11:01 PM

When my head went out, the replacement had the california crap on it. We just tapped and threw some bolts into the exhaust and intake spots on the head. Blocked it off fine, just use a bolt that length that will sit flush to the inside, you don't want a gap back in there to cause the exhaust to have more turbulence, than it does already.

Old 02-22-2007 | 03:08 AM

I have a california bike--- with the canister haning under and I was wondering the same thing. Let us know what you find out!

Also-- how do you know that the Cali bikes are run on 91 octane instead of 87? My manuals don't mention.

Old 02-22-2007 | 03:15 PM

at 10:1 compression, why would a detuned bike need to run 91 octane? i don't know about other states, but 91 out in cali isn't exactly economically feasible on my salary.

Old 02-22-2007 | 05:07 PM

Well, after working on the bike all day, it runs worse.[:@] I ended up having the wrong jet kit-I guess the '90 uses different carbs. The problem is that it's running too lean.
I put new snorkels on the carbs. We had them out when I realized the kit was wrong. By the way, I have a NIB Dynojet Jet kit for a '90 CBR600F for sale now....and need the kit for the 87-89 bike. The spark plugs were barely tight, and the original snorkel clamps were loose...Anyway, we think that some crud inside the carbs got knocked loose when we had them out, and now the jets are partially blocked.

There is an unbelievableamount of vacuum hose in this bike! What I'm going to do is get the correct jet kit, clean out the carbs when I install it, and then see what happens.

Regarding the emissions stuff, I'm going to get it running well with the all the stuff in place, then get a bunch of neoprene caps, and try to get rid of everything at once. In my Clymer manual, it shows a significantly retarded spec timing for the Cali bikes. I think that's also where I read about the 91 octane too.

Do the 49 state bikes have the Air Surge Valve on the front of the engine, or is that a Cali special item too?

Old 02-22-2007 | 05:15 PM

the ASV is part of the emissions package so my guess is it is a cali special. i have all my emissions stuff removed except for the ASV.

btw, that 91 octane thing is weird. it isn't even in the official honda shop manual.

Old 02-22-2007 | 10:51 PM

yeah... I can't find the 91 octane thing in the Clymer manual either.

Old 03-16-2007 | 03:15 AM

FYI - thought i'd let you knowmy recent experiences w/ a jet kit onmy 89 F1... could save you some hassles.my bike is a Cali modelw/ OEM exhaust and all the emissions stuff still intact.it has ran decently enough since i've had it except it's on the lean side, noticeable on cold startup andwhen the throttle's blipped quickly it hesitates.maybe b/c it has a K & N filter and stock jetting.so i recentlyinstalled a K&N/dynojet stage I, II kit andfound the stage I settings made it even leaner and it would bog badly with any throttle. this is with airbox drilled too now.so i tried thestage IIusing the 2nd richest main jet( 120 ) with needle adjusted richer to the 4th groove position and it's running better now than ever before. i may play around with it some more butwhat a PITA to pull the carbs everytime. hope this helps... would be great if you could postwhat works best on your bike.

Old 03-17-2007 | 12:01 AM

Hi VineRoc,

The California bikes definitely run lean in the first place. My bike ran well, but when I put on the Supertrapp exhaust and the K and N filter without jetting it, it ran worse (leaner). I was going to do a stage 1 with the aftermarket pipe and filter, but it sounds like maybe I should just do the stage 2. By the way, with a drilled out airbox, you have to do Stage 2, according to the kit directions.

Yeah, the cabs are a pain to pull with all the emsissions crap in the way....I'm thinking I may get 49 state carbs-they're actually different. The california carbs have a valve built in to them.

Quick Reply: California Bike-Removing emissions system