CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Buying an F1 a worth investment or a headache waiting to happen?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 10:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Buying an F1 a worth investment or a headache waiting to happen?

Honda still makes a lot of parts for this bike. Get the part number from a micro fiche finder and order from:

http://www.servicehonda.com/parts.php

eBay the rest....or ask on here.

Im pushing 44K on mine and she still purrs like a kitten, only issue I have right now is carb sync and CCT rattle.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a fluid leak can be from improper assembly of something after a recent service, or it may be from age, or hell, it might even just be something that vibrated loose over 18 years or so and is just beginning to leak. I recall the hose next to my cct did that for awhile until I removed the whole thing cleaned it good and sealed it proper then tightened it down nice and all has been well.

these bikes ARE NOT new, expect leaks to occur from age and just normal wear/tear, along with incapable hands messing with parts on the bikes, it happens. really you just have to pay attention to details and look at everything. its quite simple really once you get a feel for these babies.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:25 AM

also remember that electrical systems tend to corrode after 20 years. just something to keep in mind.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:38 PM

i would say go take a look at the bike and see where the leak is comming from, then we can give you a more definitive answer, however not having ANY plastics at all definetly lowers the sale price, so before you go buying it, post back here with any info, such as

1) Exact Mileage
2) Look at the engine sides for deep scratches or gouges.
3) Since it is a naked bike, look at the frame on the left side, right above the engine/transmission. You're looking for a vertical hairline crack moving from bottom to top of the frame (can be fixed, but will tell you if the bike has been wheelied alot) Will also indicate on what type of condition the clutch basket could possibly be in.
4) Find out if the bike is stock or if any modification has been done.
5) Of course examine the tires for weather cracking as well as center wear.
6) Sit on it and push down on the handlebars noting the fork travel, also check for aparent fork seal leaks.

From the sounds of things though this bike is seeming to be around the $800-$1000US Range.

Here in NB, Canada, the bluebook on a 87 Hurricane is $1500, and thats in good shape.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:21 PM

just as anything thats 20 years old, things get worn out and problems pop up. with a manual, some tools, and basic mechanical skills you can fix just about anything yourself.

most parts are still readily available. i usualy order from www.hondaparts-direct.com they have the microfish parts locator and usualy the best prices anywhere.

my bike leaked coolant from a hard line attached to the engine. it was tweaked just a little bit. with a little straightening and a new o-ring its leak free now. it could be anything from an old hose, to a head gasket. you just need to try and pinpoint the area of the leak.

the common problems seem to be electrical gremlins, cracking in the frame, and just poor maintenance from previous owners. look at the left side of the frame around the rear motor mount bolt locations for the cracking. also turn the handle bars from side to side and see if the distance the grips from the tank are the same. this will tell you if the bar ends are bent, and if the bike has been laid down hard. look and see if the rear tire is centered underneath the rear subframe tail section. if you are able to test ride it, take your hand off the grips and see if it shimmies, or pulls to one side or the other.

what is the asking price? take some pictures when you go look at it. this site is a great resource for information on these awesome bikes.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:39 PM

Hey guys,

Don't want to be impaled by everyone, but just got wind of a 1991 Kawasaki EX500 with only 10k miles and it's in immaculate shape. Same price. Now I know this is a Honda forum but what do y'all think of that?

Appreciate it much,

-Matt

Old 11-20-2008, 06:31 PM

91 EX500 is first gen. they're GARBAGE. 2nd gens are much better. I speak from experience with the first gens and 2nds. first generation EX500's have a flywheel issue, combined with a poorly built transmission, and a cam chain tensioner issue that is extremely annoying, no rev limiter and a VERY easily damaged bottom end. get the CBR. trust me. the CBR is a MUCH better buy for the money, even if its got all kinds of things wrong with it.

if you get an EX500, its a BAD choice for a trackbike in terms of frame and design. no mods available that dont compromise reliability. its not worth it.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:09 PM

ORIGINAL: MRMayer

Hey guys,

Don't want to be impaled by everyone, but just got wind of a 1991 Kawasaki EX500 with only 10k miles and it's in immaculate shape. Same price. Now I know this is a Honda forum but what do y'all think of that?

Appreciate it much,

-Matt
well... immaculate bike that could end up being problematic or a cbr that you already know has a problem. i guess you'll be playing the odds on this one. either way, you're going to learn something about bikes whichever one you decide on. what info have you gleaned regarding early model ex500's?

Old 11-20-2008, 11:40 PM

I'm a freakin encyclopedia on them. bored and stroked 454LTD engine with a different frame is all an EX500 is, you literally cannot do anything more to them to make more power without making the motor a thing you rebuild frequently. trust me, you'll grow VERY QUICKLY to hate the early first generation EX500's when you're not able to run it and ride.
plus the EX500's are typically done for by 30k miles or so.

I'd rather take on a CBR anyday. they're just easier to work on for me.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:48 AM

Well i think with the CBR, unless he's pretty much giving it away. You should probley offer 30% less then whats he's asking for repairs. With any bike you have to ask your self how long do you plan on riding it. And if you would get your money back on the repairs.
I never liked EX500's, The reason you see lots in new shape, IHO people get bored of them right away, and move up to a bigger bike. And after a season of riding good luck selling it. ID expect to lose alot of money on it

Quick Reply: Buying an F1 a worth investment or a headache waiting to happen?