Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 12:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike Setup & Tuning Hints

Sorry

Old 04-23-2007, 02:11 AM
Default RE: Bike Setup & Tuning Hints

I think you should follow a more recent article about suspension.

First, let me give explain some basics...

The most basic suspension setting is sag, which is usually adjusted with preload. Without setting sag first, any other suspension adjustments (compression and rebound) don't really make sense. The only way to get your sag properly set is to have the appropriate spring rate in your springs. Unless you weigh ~!140lbs (with gear), the stock springs will not be suitable for you for aggressive riding.

Now having said that, I know the Hurricane does not have compression and rebound adjustments. From the context of the article, it probably doesn't have a preload adjustment either. Here is following this article blindly may not be the best thing. Because there is no preload adjustment, the only way to set sag is change the spring's length manually (hence, the discussion aboutcutting the spring, adding spacers, etc.). However, sag is dependent on the rider's weight (with gear). So the amount to cut the spring and the length of spacers to use is dependent on that. You have no idea what weight this article is targetting!!!!!!!!! Those measurements they use for cutting and spacers may be totally unsuitable for you.

Also, they talk about using 50/50 mix of 15wt and 10wt, which will effectively give you a 12.5 wt. What they are essentially doing here is changing the rebound and compression characteristics. Rebound and compression are set based on riding style and track setups. You cannot effectively cover all just by selecting a 12.5 wt oil.

If you're really serious about your suspension and don't know what you're doing, take it to someone who does. In this way, you can get a suspension that is catered to YOU and the bike will perform to its maximum potential.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:08 PM

why did you delete your original post??????

Old 04-23-2007, 03:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: abadfish

why did you delete your original post??????
i have been trying to figure this out myself.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:01 PM

in that article, the front end was set up for a 155# - 170# rider. now i dont quite understand the whole technology behind setting up a front end but i think i understand the basics.im about to redo my front end (nothing crazy, im only a casual rider wholikes to have fun) and i dont understand the cutting down the spring,shimming, and adding spacers. is it because the sping tension is to ridged for the light rider, so they cut and space to keep preload???i thought the spings were rated for wieght, so why the need to cut??im about 200# so would i need toadd spacerstoadd additional load? im probably justlooking to hard at the picture. any explanation that would would help enlighten me would be much apprieciated. thanks

Old 04-23-2007, 06:48 PM

ORIGINAL: hurc f1/2

in that article, the front end was set up for a 155# - 170# rider.
oops, I missed that part. However, it still lacks info insofar as what spring rate are they starting with. I highly doubt a competition racer is using stock springs for a competition bike.

now i dont quite understand the whole technology behind setting up a front end but i think i understand the basics.im about to redo my front end (nothing crazy, im only a casual rider wholikes to have fun) and i dont understand the cutting down the spring,shimming, and adding spacers. is it because the sping tension is to ridged for the light rider, so they cut and space to keep preload???
As I said before, they're cutting and using spacers to get the right sag. There is no preload adjustment (I'm assuming this from the context of the article) so they have to adjust for sag manually by cutting the spring and using spacers.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:45 PM

i guess to make a longquestion short is... what exactly is sag? and how do i know it is right ? or do i just buy some progressive springs, new oil and seals, disassemble, reassemble with new parts and stock spacers and call it good? im not a pro rider so i ll probably never know the difference, but since i m gonna be in there i would prefer to set it up correctly. thanks.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:51 PM
Old 04-26-2007, 12:10 AM

ORIGINAL: hurc f1/2

.....or do i just buy some progressive springs, new oil and seals, ......
My bike (89 CBR) had progressive springs stock.