CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

89 CBR F1 Conversion to F2 Plastics

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 10:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 CBR F1 Conversion to F2 Plastics

Hello Everyone I am new to this forum...... I have a 1989 CBR 600 F1 hurricane, which I am wanting to Convert to F2 plastics because they are easier to find plus a LOT cheaper..... I was curious if anyone has ever tried this conversion or something close to it? Any tips or good pointers would be great! Thanks Again.... will post pics hopefully soon...

Old 04-09-2012, 05:17 PM
Default Yes it can be done

Originally Posted by 89HurricaneF1
Hello Everyone I am new to this forum...... I have a 1989 CBR 600 F1 hurricane, which I am wanting to Convert to F2 plastics because they are easier to find plus a LOT cheaper..... I was curious if anyone has ever tried this conversion or something close to it? Any tips or good pointers would be great! Thanks Again.... will post pics hopefully soon...
I just finished my conversion with a 88 Cane. I had to weld new mounts but i got everything to fit. Its diffinently worth it in the end. Just consider you have to replace the fairing stay bracket headlight, tail light and seat. O yea and the gas tank. They moved the fuel cap back 2 0r 3 inches from the f1. That and if you decide to keep the tank you'll keep busting mounts on the side plastic.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:35 PM

Thanks Alot Pheonix! Did you convert yours to F2 plastics also? or newer? my other question is I notice on the left side fairing by the engine they are smooth on the F1.... On the f2 there is a whole cut out... is this gonna cause a problem as far as fitment? thanks Again!

Old 04-11-2012, 03:04 AM
Default F2 all the way

Thanks Alot Pheonix! Did you convert yours to F2 plastics also? or newer? my other question is I notice on the left side fairing by the engine they are smooth on the F1.... On the f2 there is a whole cut out... is this gonna cause a problem as far as fitment? thanks Again!
I converted mine to F2, and as far as the hole goes it doesn't cause any issues. It simply is were the F2 engine design changed for the alternator. You will have to do some trimming around the access vents and around the kick stand though. Main reason for the access vents is the difference in the frame. If you have any other questions i'll do my best to help!

Old 04-12-2012, 09:37 AM

Thanks again for all the help... Any pics of your bike? Also I notice on a lot of the fairing kits that come off Ebay they are offering Heat shielding for free.... did you get your fairings from one of these same sites? if so which one and how long did it take? also Is this heat shielding on all the plastics? is it necessary? thanks again

Old 04-13-2012, 09:20 PM
Default Pics of mine

Thanks again for all the help... Any pics of your bike? Also I notice on a lot of the fairing kits that come off Ebay they are offering Heat shielding for free.... did you get your fairings from one of these same sites? if so which one and how long did it take? also Is this heat shielding on all the plastics? is it necessary? thanks again
I attached a finished photo of my bike. I have progress pic posted on my facebook just shoot me an invite and check them out. The question on heat shield would be a yes it is needed. And I did buy the plastic from ebay. I got all plastic including the wind shield for 500. It does take them a little over a month to get to you because they make it after you purchase and it comes from hong kong. But its worth it. The store I got mine through was bliss-star-express. They have a pretty good selection of plastic to choose from. Check them out.

Attached Thumbnails 89 CBR F1 Conversion to F2 Plastics-img-20120328-00017.jpg  
Old 04-16-2012, 06:22 AM

Bike looks awesome! I cant wait til mine looks nice like that.... I am Currently in a complete tear down... bike is in pieces b/c i am replacing the gaskets in the engine... sprung an oil leak from the jugs n decided to pull n replace... so it kinda set me back as far as ordering the plastics.... whats your facebook? ill look ya up.... Thanks again youve been a lot of help... oh and Bliss star is where i believe i will be getting my plastics also.... Is that a Tank Cover and how was the fitment if it was...... thanks again

Old 04-17-2012, 06:47 AM
Default Tank under cover

Bike looks awesome! I cant wait til mine looks nice like that.... I am Currently in a complete tear down... bike is in pieces b/c i am replacing the gaskets in the engine... sprung an oil leak from the jugs n decided to pull n replace... so it kinda set me back as far as ordering the plastics.... whats your facebook? ill look ya up.... Thanks again youve been a lot of help... oh and Bliss star is where i believe i will be getting my plastics also.... Is that a Tank Cover and how was the fitment if it was...... thanks again
Thanks, you can look me up under Terry Russell II, my profile pic is my son sitting on the cane when i first got it. Yes that is a tank cover fitment doesn't match the f1 tank. I will eventually have to buy a f2 tank in order to use it. It looks good with it on i would just feel stupid having to take it off every time i would need to fill up. The f1 fuel cap sits about two inchs forward from the covers access hole.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:28 PM

well i will definetly look you up....My name is Travis Caldwell just so ya know when i send you a friend request.... i appreciate all your help n be safe out there.... Also have you done any performance upgrades or tire size changes? was curious if you might know some easy power add ons... also i wanted to change the front sprocket and rear sprocket n chain.... which way would i go to give me more power in the long run ex high speeds.... also is there a place to get a sprocket n chain kit for our bikes? thanks again...

Old 04-19-2012, 07:27 AM
Default Performance ^

well i will definetly look you up....My name is Travis Caldwell just so ya know when i send you a friend request.... i appreciate all your help n be safe out there.... Also have you done any performance upgrades or tire size changes? was curious if you might know some easy power add ons... also i wanted to change the front sprocket and rear sprocket n chain.... which way would i go to give me more power in the long run ex high speeds.... also is there a place to get a sprocket n chain kit for our bikes? thanks again...
I have done some upgrades, I put a Delvik open muffler and k&n air filter on. Also I bought a jet kit from carbjetkit.com for 50 bucks. You can find a jet kit anywhere for our bikes that cheap! I plan on upgrading the ignition system a setup from hotwires and run ram air from the ports on the f2 plastic. I did change the rear tire but it was because I didn't like the skinny tire. I haven't explored the sprocket change yet but i would say if they dont make a kit to start look for a bike that is compatable.

Quick Reply: 89 CBR F1 Conversion to F2 Plastics