CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

87 hurricane, after a few days battery gets to weak to start but push starts fine

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well thats what i thought when i first looked at it but now i dont think that it is. The place that the r/r mounts is not directly mounted to the frame, it has a mounting bracket that is bolted through the frame and there are rubber isolators between the frame and bracket. I dont know if that is the way honda built them or not but it looks factory. It makes sense to me that it sould be isolated from vibrations as much as possible, i mean, we all know how bad vibrations are for any piece of machinery but that they are especially hard on electronics. I also checked for continuity between the case of the new r/r and both green wires and there was none. I know that the green wires in the bikes harness are grounds, I guess it just relies on those grounds. But it doesnt make sense to me why honda would have put that extra ground eyelet with the extra green wire on the r/r pigtail unless it was just to make sure that the r/r units case and the mounting plate that it bolts to were grounded for some reason, maybe as some kind of saftey in case a ground failed somewhere in the charging system and that extra ground would somehow spare damage to parts of the charging system. To be honest i dont know much about these bikes so maybe someone with more extensive knowledge on these bikes and or about motorcycle charging systems in general will have an answer to these questions. I do know however that it is charging now and it is running better when more juice is needed for the ignition system so i guess that i am a better place with the bike than I was a week ago.