CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

87 cbr600 leaking fuel between carbs 3 and 4

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 cbr600 leaking fuel between carbs 3 and 4

so i took my carbs apart yesterday to clean the jets out. the #4 carb was BAD, was definitely on its side for a while. after spending all night cleaning it i put them back together and installed them this morning. after turning it over for a minute it fired right up but is now pouring fuel out of the rubber tube between carbs 3 & 4. i figured instead of taking them apart 5 more times to figure out whats wrong i could just ask a professional(you guys). any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails 87 cbr600 leaking fuel between carbs 3 and 4-dsc00066.jpg  
Old 01-09-2010, 03:02 AM

probably the fuel line that runs between the carbs or the fitting. Did you connect eveything back up?

Some of the plastic fittings are prone to breakage.

KongBastard

Old 01-09-2010, 10:13 AM

yes i re-connected everything. the only thing that isn't in there that should be is a washer on the valve seat for the float valve on the 3 carb which was previously missing. i blocked the hose with a pair of vice grips while it ran and it stopped. but the fuel pump ticks like crazy now. im thinking about getting a new jet kit or a set of carbs from ebay. they have a nice set from a 1000f with 14k miles on them.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:43 PM

are you sure you didn't tweak the tongue on the float ? there's a metal tab that's bendable it adjusts the float height, if you moved it, it could be the float isn't closing when it's supposed to anymore. i had that problem when i rebuild my carbs. i adjust them wrong and would pour out of the rubber hoses at the top.

Clos

Old 02-18-2010, 03:14 PM

thank you clos. i took apart the carbs again and looked at the tounge and thats exactly what it was. i ended up buying another set of carbs from a local junk yard, and swapped the jets out from the originals, seeing as how every jet was clogged and the 4th main jet wasnt even there!

-for anyone who is having this problem-
(fuel leaking from rubber hose in between carbs)
iv noticed a few post with this problem. the floats have been adjusted too low which allows more gas then the carbs can hold and the gas thats being poured into the carbs has to go somewhere, so it goes out the rubber hoses. which i am assuming are over flow hoses. if you have taken the valve seat out and did not re-install the washer with it, then this could aslo cause the carbs to leak. if the carbs are leaking then you must ever so gently push down on the metal tounge on the float, the smallest adjustment will make a difference. i bent all of mine as far up as they could go until it started to leak. that way i know the carbs always have fuel in them.

the bike hardly ran when i bought it and iv had the carbs out a number of times adjusting these floats until the engine was running smooth. i have read in one post that to get the correct adjustment you have to put the carbs on a 45 degree angle and measure where the float is... but i am to impatient and stubborn to do that. i have yet to sync the carbs but the bike rides pretty damn smooth with decent throttle response as it is. im going to get a carbtune tool, and a colortune to adjust the mixture, soon and go to town with them.

Last edited by dewdog; 02-18-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For an expansion on the post.......do not just bend and twist the tabs, there is a proper float height for these bikes, which controls your fuel input at low rpm, i believe it is is 8mm but do not hold me to it as my haynes manual is not right here beside me. For the procedure to set float level, reference the haynes manual for free download on cbr xtreme.