CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

1989 Honda cbR 600 clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 11:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 Honda cbR 600 clutch

Ok let me start by saying I have never owned or worked on a bike before, sk please answer as if your explaining it to a child. I recently bought a 1989 600f and all it needs to get going is some lube or a new throttle cable and clutch work. The suggestion I've gotten from friends and a few bikers I've stopped is that the clutch plates/discs are in the wrong order. It doesn't engage and the lever is extremely stiff to pull, so I am looking for any other things it could be, and ideally a complete step by step guide with pictures on how to change the clutch, and the order the parts go in

Old 07-16-2013, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by BlanchardNemo
please answer as if your explaining it to a child.
Take the bike to a shop.

Do not try to fix it yourself.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:53 AM

When i said explain it like you would a child, I meant assume no prior knowledge. Even with that helpful answer, the job is done and it save me te 500$ it would have costed. That whole just take it to a shop mentality would just leave me with an empty wallet and an empty head. I now have a moving bike, 500$ and know how to change a CBR clutch.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:37 PM

The way your post was worded implies someone with no mechanical knowledge. I don't think replacing a clutch is the best first job for someone with no moto repair experience since it's easy to get stuck in a few places or install it wrong. Happy to hear you got it done & saved some money!

As for the take it to a shop mentality I've actually never recommended that to anyone here before, and I happen to know a few things about working on them as well

The factory service manual was & is still available from the sticky post in the forum, btw...