CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

1989 CBR600 Restoration Project

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 09:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 CBR600 Restoration Project

Hey guys,

Few of you may have seen some of my recent posts of questions regarding my new-to-me 1989 CBR600. This is my first bike, and actually my first time riding a motorcycle, period. Originally my plan was to buy a cheap bike, learn on this for a year or two, then buy a brand new one.

But after learning about the heritage of the CBR, seeing what they are capable of, and getting my hands dirty on this bike, I have fallen in love.

So thus begins my new project.. restoring this 1989 CBR600 so it looks and performs like it did back in the day, when it won so many races

Not knowing much about bikes, I bought this '89 CBR on September17th, 2011 for $900 bucks. Mechanically the bike seems to be pretty good. (I've worked on cars quite a bit so have a pretty good knowledge of electronics and mechanics). Had to buy a new battery... and it needs a SERIOUS tune-up. I won't be doing that myself.. but have a friend who is one of best in the business.

It is mostly cosmetic work that it needs, and items like new tire, clutch/brake levers, signal lights, etc etc. Thankfully I know how to paint and will be doing the bodywork myself.

I want to build this bike on a budget to show that you have have a great bike that will dominate the roads, look great, without spending a ton of money.

Here is the best part: I want you guys to help! Looking for help/suggestions on colors, paint schemes, decals, rims, exhausts, accessories, etc.

I will post pics tonight of the bike in its current condition. So far all I've done is stripped of the fairings, and I've ordered a new windshield.

Hopefully this build will inspire others to take on a job they can be proud of, and will also be a good resource for others looking to do a restoration.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by GMC_Guy77; 09-20-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:12 AM

Sounds like you got a nice project going on, can't wait to see some progress pics.

Are you going to put the bike back to original colors or gonna do your own color scheme?

Old 09-20-2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by cobra1000rr
Are you going to put the bike back to original colors or gonna do your own color scheme?
Glad you brought that up, forgot to mention that...

When I say restoration, I mean that I am going to restore the bike to its original condition, but not original color/appearance. Does that make sense?

Quite frankly, I love the old appearance/color scheme of this bike, but it is definitely out-dated. Going to give it a more modern look, HOWEVER I am sticking to its roots using all original fairings, etc. No radical streetfighter conversions or nothing like that...

I guess you could say I am building a modern-day classic

Old 09-20-2011, 09:33 AM

Bought my first part today.. a new windshield. (current one is snapped in two, missing half of it )

Bought this one off ebay --> http://www.ebay.ca/itm/310340556443?...84.m1439.l2649

Seems like a good deal for $65 total shipped. I'll let you know if its a good product or not once I receive it!

Old 09-20-2011, 09:41 AM

When I say restoration, I mean that I am going to restore the bike to its original condition, but not original color/appearance. Does that make sense?
yes makes perfect sense, Should be a nice rebuild for you. I loved the older 94's++ paint style 3 color combos etc. They don't paint them like they used to and they are all plain anymore, I Been looking at some older 91-94 cbr 600 to redo, Got my eye on one in CG that I swear by is my old 600 I had like 10 years ago.

But as far as your colors go you should choose how you want it to look and make it everything you wanted it to be.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:13 AM

I really like the look Old Smokey's bike, picture is attached. Simple, clean, sharp.

Is this what you are referring to by "the older 94's++ paint style 3 color combos etc." --> http://motorcycle-specs.com/general/...600F2-1994.jpg

If so than I agree with you, love that scheme. However to be honest, I like the new 2011 CBR250 color scheme the best It's just clean and elegant IMO. --> http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/photog...CBR250R-12.jpg

Attached Thumbnails 1989 CBR600 Restoration Project-hpim0488.jpg  
Old 09-20-2011, 11:14 AM

yea those 250's are nice, trying to get my girl to start with one of those, she doesn't want brand new so we are waiting to grab a used one.

And even these 250's don't have the color patterns anymore just plain

I am thinking if the money is right to peel my stickers and repaint some color in my bike as its all black/silver but you don't rlly see the silver as the black is just too much, and since drivers claim they cant see motorcycles anyways these days an all black bike is harder to see at night.

Choose the colors that you will like - its your bike.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:50 AM

The 250 is a great starter bike.. I was thinking of starting on one of those, you can't beat them for the price. But I decided to go this route instead 'cause I love fixing things

Well after looking at pictures of nearly every CBR600F1 in existence (yeah, it took awhile lol) I'd decided on a scheme, combination of yellow, black and silver. Here it is:

Windshield: Smoke gray (transparent)
Mirrors: Flat Black
Top/front fairing: Yellow
Mid Fairing: Yellow
Gas tank: Yellow with honda logo
Rear Fairing: Yellow with black CBR logo
Seat: Black with yellow sticking
Frame: Flat black
Engine block/tranny: Silver
Rims: Black with Yellow lip

Rest of parts like exhaust, headers, etc will be either black or chrome if possible.

Might do up a sketch of what it will look like. (I'm a bit of an artist). It will help me follow through on too lol

Last edited by GMC_Guy77; 09-20-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:27 AM
Default Got pictures! :d

Took some pictures this morning. Have the bike completely stripped down (although that's pretty much how I got it lol) I'm getting the fairings repainted this weekend.

But basically, here it is! Looks like a beast!

Attached Thumbnails 1989 CBR600 Restoration Project-100_0476.jpg   1989 CBR600 Restoration Project-bike2-small.jpg  
Old 09-21-2011, 10:23 AM

Today's project..

I am replacing/updating/modifying the back end of the bike. What I did was removed the brackets that hold the passenger foot pegs and signal lights. Looks cleaner this way. I picked up a set of new turn signals at Princess Auto that will mount to the plastic piece that the license plate bracket attaches too.

Also bought a new license plate bracket i found at Princess Auto. It's got a smaller profile, and chrome on it

I will post pics of finished product, but this gives you an idea..
See pictures..

Attached Thumbnails 1989 CBR600 Restoration Project-100_0478.jpg   1989 CBR600 Restoration Project-100_0480.jpg   1989 CBR600 Restoration Project-100_0481.jpg   1989 CBR600 Restoration Project-100_0482.jpg  

Quick Reply: 1989 CBR600 Restoration Project