CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

1989 CBR600 Fuel Not Pumping. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 CBR600 Fuel Not Pumping. Help!

Hi there, just joined the forum as I'm in a blind panic...

I've got a 1989 CBR600f-k.
Just sold it, and the guy came to pick it up, got to the bottom of my road, and had to push it back. After much investigation, it's something to do with the fuel pump.

Here's what I've done...

Tried connecting the fuel pump straight to the battery. It pumps away very happily.

Tried "shorting out" the relay (actually removing the relay and connecting the wires across eachother..), like it says in Haynes, and the pump clicks once and then nothing...

So, I don't think it's the PUMP that's not working, and it doesn't seem to be caused by the relay. Something is happening in between. Anyone have any ideas? Please help! I want the bike out of the garage so I can fill it with other, shinier bikes!

-eli

Old 03-26-2011, 06:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check connections for corrosion and tightness, clean ALL connectors you can get to in your harness and then apply Dielectric grease inside them and connect them back together. have you test ridden yourself to verify that it has this problem. After it stalled did you drain the float bowls to verify they were run dry of fuel?

Is it possible this guy just stalled it and then flooded it trying to start again?

Did he hit the kill switch while riding?

Old 03-27-2011, 03:00 AM

Ok, I will try that today. I hate, loath, absolutely cannot stand electrical problems. Give me a broken carb, a leaky cylinder head, a buggered clutch any day of the week over a light that won't turn on or an electrical connection that won't connect. I like my problems mechanical. Electrics are sorcery, and should be thrown on the pyre where they belong...

We did think at first he'd just flooded it. So we let it sit for a good hour or so. But no go. And like I said, I tried the diagnostic routine explained in the Haynes manual, which is to remove the relay and connect the black wire to the black/blue wire, and turn the ignition on. This SHOULD result in the pump working, but on my bike just results in a single "click" from the pump. However, when I connect the pump directly to the battery, it rattles away quite merrily...

Now, the Haynes implies that I should leave the tank connected to the pump (it says something like "the pump should pump fuel into a bucket"), which is nigh on impossible if you're fettering with the relay at the same time... This wouldn't make a difference, would it? Just a thought...

-eli

Old 03-27-2011, 03:47 AM

I've been thinking, actually, if the MOTOR works, and bypassing the RELAY makes the motor only CLICK once, then does that imply that not ENOUGH power is getting through the relay, which implies, like you said, simply a bad connection somewhere? Because presumably it takes a certain amount of power to get the motor turning, but a little power would be enough to turn the motor a click or two...?

If this is the case, can I diagnose it with my multimeter? I would presume I need to look for AMPS, as opposed to VOLTS? Again, I reckon Electricals to be akin to sorcery..