CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

1988 Hurricane 600 Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '89 CBR 600 that I have been restoring as well... You mentioned you were looking for lower left and right fairings - I have purchased and received these fairings from Maier Manufacturing. They are ABS plastic and look awesome. Oh ya, plus they are only $87.20 each.

Here is a link.
Honda CBR600 Fairing Side | Maier USA

I had them shipped to Canada which cost $110, but it was still cheaper than Airtech.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Petterman
I have a '89 CBR 600 that I have been restoring as well... You mentioned you were looking for lower left and right fairings - I have purchased and received these fairings from Maier Manufacturing. They are ABS plastic and look awesome. Oh ya, plus they are only $87.20 each

Here is a link.
Honda CBR600 Fairing Side | Maier USA

I had them shipped to Canada which cost $110, but it was still cheaper than Airtech.
Wow that's quite abit cheaper! Do they come with mounting tabs or did you have to fab them up? I'm really looking into a set of these, hard to pass up at that price. Thanks for the link!

Old 01-20-2012, 08:12 AM

I don't have to fabricate anything on them - they have tabs that needed to be drilled and bolted right on.

I ordered them on a Thursday and they were delivered on the following Wednesday.

I will have to order some stuff from Airtech as well (Upper and Tail) - but that won't be for a while yet. I suggest subscribing to Airtech's newsletter, they have had a couple of 30% off sales that make it a bit more attractive to purchase other bits.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:46 PM
Default metal head gasket.

Originally Posted by Pei_Hurricane
does anybody have experience or advice with reusing the metal head gasket?
first, is it a multilayer gasket, or solid. in either case, you must completely clean all surfaces of any coatings from the original construction. there is no way to be certain of the consistency of the original sealant, so remove it, and start over. if a solid gasket, all you then have to do is coat both sides with that copper spray sealant, and install. do the sealant just before installing, do not let it set for more than a few minutes.

if a multilayer, then remove any rivets, and completely clean all surfaces. spray all surfaces with the sealant, and reassemble the gasket, then install. again, don't let the sealant cure too long.

i had a multilayer gasket i reused this way, on my Supra turbo, and 16000 miles later, all is well, pushing 14 psi of boost.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:02 PM

Well my luck has turned for the better! I posted an add in the local classifieds saying that i was looking for Hurricane parts, and got numerous replies, one of which was someone with a full engine gasket kit, unopend that he had from awhile ago when he used to race his hurricane and all he wanted was $40 for it! SCORE!! Should be here by the end of the week. I havn't decided yet but i might use the old gaskets for now and save the new ones for my second engine and see if i can find some nice aftermarket performance parts for her!

Last edited by Pei_Hurricane; 02-08-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:15 AM

Well that gasket kit was a huge score! I decided to just use the head gasket for now as the rest of my gaskets were still in great shape. I've been working on the engine latley and she's finally finished up and ready to be put into the frame! Hopefully I can get that done in the next few days.

A picture of the engine all put together

Name:  IMG_0475.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  128.3 KB

Old 03-20-2012, 12:07 PM

looking good! have you thought about painting it before putting it back in the frame?

Old 03-26-2012, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by trippmann
looking good! have you thought about painting it before putting it back in the frame?
I think i'm just gonna throw it in the frame as is for now so i can get the thing up and running as soon as i can haha, then maybe tear it apart again this winter and give everything a check and do some more touch ups.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:09 AM

Just alittle teaser pic

Old 03-31-2012, 06:59 PM

Well the engines in the frame! Actually went in with no fuss too, gotta love when that happens. Went to install the carb assembly but I'm one clamp short! Why do things always happen on Saturday evenings? Lol. I've also started to install the cooling system and found that I have two different radiators, one of which will not fit in either of my frames.....weird. And of course it's in much better shape and I planned to use it, what can you do haha

Now for some pictures! I'm in the middle of working on her so IPhone pics are gonna have to do for now.

Name:  b7e4841e.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  147.9 KB

Heres my two rads. The top one fits nicely in both frames, but the bottom fits in neither....wonder what it's out of haha

Name:  5974eaa2.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  119.3 KB

Last edited by Pei_Hurricane; 09-18-2012 at 08:37 AM.

Quick Reply: 1988 Hurricane 600 Build