CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

1988 Hurricane 600 Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 07:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nicoman
Your making me jealous...
Thanks! I'm starting to get pretty excited, seeing the light at the end of the tunnel haha

Old 01-16-2012, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by gatorfirkin
Hi Buddy, very interested in your build project. I happen to own a 1990FL. It is going through the process of a complete restoration. Shot blast, powder coat etc., even down to getting all the nuts and bolts re-plated. I stress that this is a sympathetic restoration because I am fitting a complete stainless exhaust system as I thought the Honda original did not look right for the bike.
99% of the new parts have been purchased and I am waiting for the forks to be returned from a professional engine builder on the Isle of Man. They are being set up for my weight to give optimum performance.
I have only just joined the forum and I will post photos in the near future.
Best of luck with your CBR, regards, GatorFirkin.
Thanks! and sounds like your going to have one hell of a nice bike when you're done!

Old 01-16-2012, 08:24 PM
Smile

That's a really nice job you are doing there. I am anxious to see it finished

Old 01-17-2012, 03:00 AM

I like the first paint scheme....the white with red stripes.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by nicoman
I like the first paint scheme....the white with red stripes.
That's the one i'm really leaning towards. Almost all the plastics i have were spray painted (quite poorly) black so something has to be done haha

Old 01-17-2012, 11:43 AM

Well i got some bad news from the local shop today. it seems I can't buy the head gasket separate, Its only available in an entire top end gasket kit. The ironic part about it is the kit costs $170 and includes valve seals with all the gaskets which i bought separate a few months ago for around $140.....oh well, hopefully i can find a new one somewhere! In other news my Dads thinking of putting a 1200cc big bore kit in his Kz1000 so he can go Hayabusa hunting. If he does that i'm gonna have to keep him away from any short straight aways if i want to stand a chance!

Started polishing up my exhaust today, its starting to look nice!
Name:  0013.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  97.3 KB

Old 01-18-2012, 09:13 AM

Well after some searching the cheapest I can find a head gasket is $80 with $15 shipping, does anybody have experience or advice with reusing the metal head gasket? The one off the parts bike cleaned up nicely but i'm still a little nervous of using it. I also looked alittle closer at the plastics i do have and sure enough my bike was red with a white stripe at one point in its life. I also noticed after going through some parts that there's quite alot of road rash on almost all my parts from the right side, good thing the right sides fine on the parts bike! The absence of lower fairings doesn't really surprise me anymore haha.

Speaking of fairings has anybody tried the Airtech fairings? $197 seems alot better than $400 for the ones from Honda. Personally I don't like how they molded the maintenance hatch into the fairing and i'd have to fab up mounting tabs but for half the cost i'm considering it.

Last edited by Pei_Hurricane; 01-18-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:02 AM

I just got my 88 cbr600 and i am having the hardest time finding parts! All i really need is a back fairing because i dont like that my wires for the brake light are exposed and a new gas cap. Could anybody help me out?

Old 01-18-2012, 10:28 AM

I've had a white one and a black one and believe me, black is faster!

Old 01-18-2012, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by nicksauce
I just got my 88 cbr600 and i am having the hardest time finding parts! All i really need is a back fairing because i dont like that my wires for the brake light are exposed and a new gas cap. Could anybody help me out?
I know where your coming from, i've checked ebay countless times for some extra parts so that i could try some mods without ruining the ones i have for my two bikes but havn't really found much. I did notice a gas cap on there a few days ago though. From what i've found fairings are in high demand, but this site has some replacment ones.
HONDA CBR 600 F1 1987-90, CBR600, fairings, bodywork, fairing, upper, lower, mid, seat side, race, street, fender, tail, undertail, tank

Quick Reply: 1988 Hurricane 600 Build