CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

1987 CBR 600F1 streetfighter

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 11:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 CBR 600F1 streetfighter

Hey guys,

I am wanting to turn the ole' bike into a streeter and have some ideas. I am debating if i should go with a longer or shortened swingarm. Any ideas on what swingarms might fit from what bikes with minimal to no modifications. Also, what is the best aftermarket guage cluster to go with that will work with this bike, ive looked around but havent really found any that have kits for this bike yet. Maybe im just not looking hard enough or not in the right places. What i do know however is i want to be able to go with a much wider tire in the back not exactly sure oin the size right now but would like to be able to put on about an 6"-9" width tire. Also i found another post that has someone putting on a car TSW rim and liked the looks of that. I have emailed that individual with no response so any help with that would be nice too.

Thanks guys

Old 01-27-2013, 03:53 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rear swingarm with little or no mod? Nope. Even if you did find something to bolt up, you'd have messed about the whole dynamic of the bike.
As for gauges, I have heard of people using Vapor gauges on the F1. It is not plug and play, but it is not complicated either.
A wider tire (with the stock swingarm, you can go to about a 150 tire or so, depending on the make) may comprimise your handling. Putting a car rim, let alone a car tire on is a terrible idea IMO. I've heard of putting car tires on before (google motorcycle darkside), it is popular in the cruiser scene. My dad mentioned it to me, as he is a Valkyrie owner. Difference is, car tires aren't designed to corner on an angle like a bike. You lose a lot of your contact patch turning a turn, which can lead to total loss of traction.

That being said, I have seen pictures before of swingarm jobs done, then PROPERLY tuned by a reputable suspension shop which knows their stuff. It's your bike/money, so spend it how you please. I'm just here to say maybe you'd be better off to buy a bike with the swingarm you want and go from there.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. It wasnt so much the car tire i was going for as much as the rim. Also, by little to no mods i dont necessarily a dirct bolt on. I did some more research and found some ideas for the swingarm. I do have some questions for you though if you could take the time to answer them.

I was going through my valves adjusting the clearances, and i noticed that instead of being level with the deck the notch on the intake cam gear was angled above the deck and off by about one tooth. I was having issues with it passing emissions and havent been able to check it since i corrected, what i believe was wrong with, the intake cam gear. Do you think that could have a big effect, i was coming in at about 3300 HC and 0.25 for CO, obviously i need to adjust my air/fuel screws back down a little also but any ideas.

Second i think i might have a bad carb boot allowing a vacuum leak, any idea where i can get one new.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:51 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I read that as a car tire too. Anyways, I don't see how a car rim would work without a single sided swingarm. Most car rims have offset (the surface where the hub meets the rim is not at the middle of the rim thickness. I have no idea how the rear brake/sprocket would be sorted as well.

I have actually never done the valves on this bike, so I don't know if the markings should be level or not, I'd defer that to another member. But if you are one tooth off, you would notice. Maybe its a stretched chain... hard to say.

As for your carbs. I only found them in 4's.
4 New Honda CBR600 CBR600F Hurricane 87 90 Carb Holder Intake Boots | eBay