CBR 1100XX "Super Blackbird" 1998 - 2003 CBR 1000XX

Whats the deal

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 04:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the deal

Hello, This is my first post about my first bike. I was wondering, is everyone alergic to Blackbirds? Everyone is going on and on about their f4i and rr's, but the more and more I search the internet, I find that blackbirds are sort of a rarity. No one talks about them. If you guys have a grudge against them, let me have it, because Ive heard neither good or bad about them. Im open to interpritation.

Old 08-08-2005, 03:17 PM
Default RE: Whats the deal

As you know, the Blackbird is an older design, typically older folk own them ( unlike 600RR's) and most spend there time riding the bikes for LONG DISTANCES. They were the latest and greatest in 97, but things have changed..
They are great bikes, just a bit on the heavy side and the linked braking system is a mixed bag when it comes to the reviews of the bike...in 1997 it was for a short time the fastest bike made..
There are aftermarket parts, but not many for this bike..
I am sure you will love it unless you drop it, then you will be grunting when you try to pick it up and when you go to order replacement parts from Honda you will probally crap yourself over the prices!!
So just enjoy it and welcome to the site!!

Old 08-10-2005, 12:06 PM

I'm finding the same thing. It seems that everything I do is at odds with what the crowd does. I love my bike and being 6' 4" I can stretch out on the thing. I looked at some of the newer bikes but DAMN everyone was so obnoxious looking. The graphics were just too much for my tastes.

As far as mods go, I don't see doing too much with it to make mine faster. I have spent more than I did on the bike to make my car faster and put several hundred hours into that project. However, when I go from riding the bike to driving the car...my car feels like a fat pig.

In the end, it is typically the younger crowd that finds these forums and the younger crowd seems to like the more extreme-looking bikes. This combined with the fact that far fewer birds were produced thhan just about any other CBR means we have a small following.

Check out these guys: http://www.superblackbird.co.uk/

ORIGINAL: amccorm

Hello, This is my first post about my first bike. I was wondering, is everyone alergic to Blackbirds? Everyone is going on and on about their f4i and rr's, but the more and more I search the internet, I find that blackbirds are sort of a rarity. No one talks about them. If you guys have a grudge against them, let me have it, because Ive heard neither good or bad about them. Im open to interpritation.

Old 08-10-2005, 12:36 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1100Bird is an awesome machine -- first bike to kick the ZX11's ****[8D] Unfortunately the quest for the high speed crown went nuts shortly there after ... so interest waned. But if ya like it who cares what everybody is riding? Like Limpy said the down side is not a lot of aftermarket goodies but since they're kinda rare anyway you'll stand out even with it stock.

Old 09-19-2005, 03:51 PM

Just purchased a used 1997 Blackbird with 3,300 miles on it. Currently own a 954, looking for something for those longer days of riding.

Old 09-19-2005, 04:47 PM

ORIGINAL: tdukett

Just purchased a used 1997 Blackbird with 3,300 miles on it. Currently own a 954, looking for something for those longer days of riding.
Damn! only 3300mi??!!??!

That is awesome. Sucks for the previous owner. I'm jealous...mine has a little over 20k...but it feels new.

Old 12-22-2005, 03:54 AM

I love the blackbird its a nice smooth comfy ride.My brother got his new in 97 and has over 60,000 trouble free miles.**** he put penske shock and revalved the forks and he is a real terror in the curves.

Old 03-30-2006, 04:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HEY, YOU GUYS!!!!!...knock it off !!!!!!!... now I got to go out and get a XX too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Clean and free, only smoke'n harleys!!!!! Ripp'n

Old 03-30-2006, 09:37 AM

I'm an american V8 power kind of a guy, but I never liked Harleys and couldn't rely on a Buell. Buying a honda went against everything in me...no regrets though. The Honda Fireblade motor is a rock solid design, I expect to get at least 60k miles out of mine as well!

Old 04-03-2006, 09:51 AM

I just got a 1997 Blackbird also. I always wanted one and I think it is a step above the 1990 cbr 1000 that I owned. It is hard to find
parts, but when I get her rolling I will have no regrets. They are timeless classics though.

Quick Reply: Whats the deal