CBR 1100XX "Super Blackbird" 1998 - 2003 CBR 1000XX

rebuilding a 97 blackbird.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rebuilding a 97 blackbird.

Hello I am the new lucky owner of a 97 cbr1100xx. When I bought the bike. The battery would not charge. I replaced the rectifier and while doing this noticed the chain was worn and the vortex rear sprocket was missing about 4 out of 47 total teeth. So now I am in the process of changing both sprockets and chain ( old removed just waiting for new parts to get here. I am replacing with a new vortex 47t rear sprocket, 16t jet front sprocket and a did vx chain. I checked out the rear bearings while I had the wheel off and noticed it wouldn't hurt to replace them while I already have the wheel off. My question is what bearings would everyone recommend? I am a maintenance tech and at my job we use nachi and nsk bearings. I know these are good brands, but I don't know if they make them for bikes and if there are better bearings out there. Any help would b appreciated and any other things seasoned cbr1100xx riders could recommend to check would be appreciated (I've only owned cbr600s before). Thanks everyone for any input!

Old 02-26-2013, 08:59 AM

I have NSK bearings in mine - straight off the shelf from a local nsk stockist. Nothing clever about them - just standard deep groove double rubber shield bearings.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:41 PM

Thanks dean. Where did u find the nsk bearings? I can only find nachi? Also I am looking to build my own manometer. I have been searching the internet for a couple days and cannot find a complete supply list and list of directions for building one. I have decided to go with the 4 air lines mounted to a piece of plywood with t connectors at the base between the lines. However I am a little vague in understanding what connections are needed at the carburators. I have some 5mm male fittings with quick connects for the air lines to attach to and a couple needle valves to help regulate the vacumm and help keep down surges from sucking in ATF. If anyone has build one of these or knows if these type of connections will work before I build it, it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by 89cbrcane
Thanks dean. Where did u find the nsk bearings? I can only find nachi? Also I am looking to build my own manometer. I have been searching the internet for a couple days and cannot find a complete supply list and list of directions for building one. I have decided to go with the 4 air lines mounted to a piece of plywood with t connectors at the base between the lines. However I am a little vague in understanding what connections are needed at the carburators. I have some 5mm male fittings with quick connects for the air lines to attach to and a couple needle valves to help regulate the vacumm and help keep down surges from sucking in ATF. If anyone has build one of these or knows if these type of connections will work before I build it, it would be greatly appreciated.
I use these guys for bearings - Simply Bearings Ltd ~ Oil Seals SKF *** TIMKEN KOYO NTN NKE TRULOC Needle Rollers Taper Rollers Rod Ends Oilite Bushes Loose ***** O Rings Grease Plain Thrust - at the time there was SKF, NTN, *** and NSK to choose from - I don't belive there is any difference in them for the bike.

Never attempted to build a carb balancer - i use a morgan carbtune - www.carbtune.com
Not cheap at £57 but very good piece of kit.

You don't attach the vac lines to the carbs on a blackbird - there are 4 ports in the head just below the carbs where the vac lines need to connect.
Each carb/inlet port has its own vac line direct to the vac gauge.
You will also need a "T" connector because you need to have the fuel tap connected to the vac at the same time or no fuel will flow.