CBR 1100XX "Super Blackbird" 1998 - 2003 CBR 1000XX

Need Help - Hesitation and running Rich....

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help - Hesitation and running Rich....

Bike has 9,500 Miles and has been running rich and hesitating at low and mid rpm's. I replaced the Air filter and cleaned all the plugs and ran Techron through 2 tanks of gas but still has this issue. It runs great at higher rpms and still a beast on the highway but cruising around town it runs crappy and smelly rich out of the exhaust. The Plugs had very little wear and very little oil on them and original with 9,500 miles but are the expensive lifetime NGK's. If it is a sensor - which one ? The FI light never comes on and all oil changes etc. are up to date.
Any real answers before I take it to my 2 different incompetant dealers here in central Florida?

Old 11-24-2007, 09:06 PM
Default RE: Need Help - Hesitation and running Rich....

ORIGINAL: malibuman

Bike has 9,500 Miles and has been running rich and hesitating at low and mid rpm's. I replaced the Air filter and cleaned all the plugs and ran Techron through 2 tanks of gas but still has this issue. It runs great at higher rpms and still a beast on the highway but cruising around town it runs crappy and smelly rich out of the exhaust. The Plugs had very little wear and very little oil on them and original with 9,500 miles but are the expensive lifetime NGK's. If it is a sensor - which one ? The FI light never comes on and all oil changes etc. are up to date.
Any real answers before I take it to my 2 different incompetant dealers here in central Florida?

Have you modified your bike?

Old 11-24-2007, 09:18 PM

Completely Stock.
Could the Techron have screwed up an Injector?
Will the FI Light come on if an Injector is screwed up or only for Electrical - Sensor Problems?
Light never comes on except for when key is on and engine not running....
All I know is that it is running rich and wasting fuel and bogging-hesitating and the gas has no water or trash in it asI have added a small amount - 1/2 ounce of Sta-Bil and 6 ounces of Techron to 5 Gallons of Gas...

Old 11-24-2007, 09:30 PM

Completely Stock.
Could the Techron have screwed up an Injector?
Will the FI Light come on if an Injector is screwed up or only for Electrical - Sensor Problems?
Light never comes on except for when key is on and engine not running....
All I know is that it is running rich and wasting fuel and bogging-hesitating and the gas has no water or trash in it asI have added a small amount - 1/2 ounce of Sta-Bil and 6 ounces of Techron to 5 Gallons of Gas...

You could have a bad sensor and that is why the FI light is on. However, you should feel confident in the fact that a rich running condition may only foul your plugs and won't do harm to your motor. Many auto manufacturers use a rich condition to ward off harmful conditions that are detrimental to motors but could ruin less important parts.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:34 PM

No, the light does not come on when the engine is running. Copy that on the rich part but the bike is almost un-rideable. I am just looking for expert advice as I do not trust my local dealers....

Old 11-24-2007, 10:27 PM

No, the light does not come on when the engine is running. Copy that on the rich part but the bike is almost un-rideable. I am just looking for expert advice as I do not trust my local dealers....
If you're not running any lights with the engine running, I don't know what to say. Maybe you can state your location and someone can recommend you to a better facility that may help. I really wish I could help more, but someone else may be able to help if you post up some info on your location and distance you are willing to travel to find a good service department.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:32 PM

I ran into the same problem when I first purchased my bird. The fuel regulator was going out on mine and then it just went out completely and started over loading the center cyclinders and shutting off. I would start there. Remove the fuel tank and take the pressure regulator off the right side of the fuel rail. If you apply suction to the vacuum side of the reg see if it holds or if you keep drawing air through the reg. If air keeps coming through then that is your problem and the computer will readjust itself when this is fixed. Good luck.