Would you get this as a Winter Project?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 09:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you get this as a Winter Project?

I am losing hope in getting a cheap bike so now started looking into salvage bikes, do you think its worth the headache to have this as a winter project, i am car techinician so i know my way around tools and fixing stuff.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12569/FAF1EA10793E4824898A2631A57F67EB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-01-2006, 10:36 PM
Default RE: Would you get this as a Winter Project?

not bad for a stunt bike but if you want to cherry it up again - i dont believe it's worth it.. find out what it needs, make sure the forks arent bent and find out how it was dropped.. like i said, it would be a very nice stunt bike (even tho it's a 1000RR)

also how much is he selling it for? seems like the only thing missing is cluster and some fairing - i dont even think he dropped it, seems like he was parting it out and then is like "F it, sell the whole thing"

Old 12-02-2006, 04:12 AM

the bike is on ebay, it looks like some dealership that takes in theft recoveries or just crashed bikes, from what it says it drives straight, the forks are not bent, frame is not bent either, at least according to what they say, if it was closer to me i would def go and check it out but its like 200miles away in NY, i am in MD. Either way most likely it will go up higher then what it is now and i won't be able to afford it anyways, its at 2125 right now or something like that.

Old 12-02-2006, 01:36 PM

Before I bought my bike, I looked for a salvaged bike as well. It turned out that by the time you buy the bike and get all the parts you need, you might as well of spent the extra couple hundred dollars for a clean title and a bike you know hasnt been ragged out and is ready to ride. I dont think its worth buying a bike that you cant see unless its for a stunt bike.

Old 12-02-2006, 03:39 PM

Pictures can only tell you so much. I would have to see a wrecked bike in person and go over it extensively before i bought one. I couldnt bring myself to buy one sight unseen on ebay. just my 2 cents.

Old 12-02-2006, 03:47 PM

That would be a tough one for me too. The plastics alone will probably run $1200-$1500, the headlamp cluster, gauge set, all the small accessory attachments, that's a small fortune. I would probably shop around for a NEW leftover bike, I'll guess it wouldn't cost much more than this one, after all the smoke cleared. May just be the photo but forks look bent to me, pushed back!!!!! I guess it depends on how ambitious you are.

Old 12-02-2006, 10:33 PM

If I had a garage to work in I would do it.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Repsol_Thom

That would be a tough one for me too. The plastics alone will probably run $1200-$1500, the headlamp cluster, gauge set, all the small accessory attachments, that's a small fortune. I would probably shop around for a NEW leftover bike, I'll guess it wouldn't cost much more than this one, after all the smoke cleared. May just be the photo but forks look bent to me, pushed back!!!!! I guess it depends on how ambitious you are.
like i said.. probbly good for a stunt bike.. also i wouldnt bike a buy off the net unless it was driving distance away or the buyer is willing to video tape the defects of it all. And I would never buy from ebay either - people have confidence or just stupid to buy without seeing the whole thing. (or just flipping rich)

you should check your local salvage yard - or newspapers.. i seen some guys try to sell leftover bikes. there is also a salvage yard website - http://www.argocycles.com/ ... once again, probbly only good for stunt bikes or a really long project bike.. But they are set prices, you may be able to talk them down a bit maybe..

But if you are a serious rebuilder, you can rebuild one back up and hold your head up high knowing that you build it.. but just remember, you drop it - your going to have alot more depression then a person that just bought a new bike (sentimental value you know)

(i would actually buy from argo but living in las vegas, well the shipment will be a pain)
check it out, might be a couple more 1,000's but you get a bike with like 2 scratchs on it.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:12 AM

I had a great experience with ebay. I bought my 2003 GSX-R1000 with just over 6000 miles for $6000 a year and a half ago. I never ACTUALLY laid eyes on it and shipped it 1500 miles right to my door for about $400 I think with full insurance on the bike from the moving company. It was in great condition in the add and it was in great condition when it showed up aside from the mirror the moving company broke during shipping and which they paid to replace.

My advice would be to be very patient, a good bike will come up eventually, and don't buy from anyone with poor or no history. Save yourself the headache and wait for a bike to come up that's cheap but that still at least operates the way it was intended too. There are squids that don't insure their bike, then proceed to total them and try to sell them on ebay. Bike still has a clear title so the person isn't lying in their add, but the bike is fubar. Also, make sure to read all the by-laws on ebay, there are some good insurances set-up to protect and give you more confidence as the buyer.

Hope that helps.

Adrian