Winterizing my bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winterizing my bike

What are some of the things that need to be done to make sure it is ready to ride next spring?

Old 11-09-2008, 01:06 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM
Default RE: Winterizing my bike

Fill the tank before you store it. Put it on stands if you have them. Take out the battery, keep it someplace warm and on a battery tender.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:34 PM

Ok cool I have not bought stands yet sounds like I need to purchase some.Should I put some gas stabalizer in the tank?

Old 11-09-2008, 02:07 PM

You don't need stands to store it. Fuel stabilizer is debatable but know that it will make your bike run poorly when you take it out in the spring (until you go through the old gas)

Old 11-09-2008, 05:12 PM

stolen from another website:

Winter is fast approaching and if you live in a frigid climate it's time to store your bike for the season. In storing your bike for a few months over the winter, your main concern is to avoid corrosion while in storage and the goal is to have a bike that is ready to go when you are.
The most crucial areas in need of protection are the piston rings, cylinder walls, and valve seats. The enemy here is moisture, which can enter the engine from any of a number of places and cause serious damage. Since its not really practical to try and close up all of the possible areas of entry, we will concentrate on moisture proofing instead.
The first step is to warm-up the engine. This drives off any moisture that may have accumulated already and it makes it easier to get a good coating of oil in each cylinder. Turn the bike off and remove the spark plugs. Then, using a turkey baster, suck up 25cc's of engine oil and squirt the oil into each plug hole. Turn the engine over by hand (put it in top gear and turn the rear wheel) with the plugs still out to coat the cylinder walls, piston rings and valve seats. Then replace the plugs and drain the existing crankcase oil.
Next, fill the crankcase with fresh oil. I suggest you retain the old filter and plan on dropping this oil come Spring, but if you decide to use this oil after the thaw, you will want to change the filter now. The hard part of prepping your bike is now done and you can breathe a little easier knowing that moisture will not rust the piston rings to the cylinder wall. I just over hauled an engine that had been left unattended for a year and the cylinder wall was so badly pitted with rust that it had to be bored out 1 mm before I got down to good metal. Likewise the valve seats were a mess and I had to replace the head.
But we aren't out of the woods yet.
The next step is to protect the inside of the fuel tank from rusting. Fill the tank to the top with fuel that has been treated with a fuel stabilizer. I have had good luck with a product called Sta-Bil, which you can get at any marine supply store, but any type will do. You also want to drain the float bowls by unscrewing the small screw on the carb float bowl. Any fuel left in the bowls for more than two months will turn into a jet-clogging sludge that will cost you a carb overhaul to remove. If you have a fuel injected bike then you can skip this step and move on to the next.
Because batteries self-discharge, it is necessary to keep it charged up when the bike is stored. The best way to care for your stored battery is to hook a Super Smart Battery Tender to it. The Battery Tender is one of the latest generation of "smart chargers." It will maintain the charge in your battery without any other attention from you for years. The battery can also be left in the bike. If the posts on your battery are corroded, now would be a good time to remove the battery bolts and clean them up. A little grease on the threads of the bolts will keep them corrosion free all season. Make sure you top off the electrolyte with water if your bike does not a maintenance free battery.
Get the bike, the rear of the bike anyway, off the ground. If you're lucky and your bike has a center stand, use it. Wipe all the bird doo-doo off and give the chrome the once over with a coat of polish to keep it from pitting. Wax the tank and squirt some rubber protector on the rubber parts to keep them from drying out. Make sure you wipe any smashed bugs off your fork tubes before you throw a tarp over the whole thing.
If you live where it gets really cold then you should make sure your coolant has enough anti-freeze in it to keep the system from freezing. It's easy to check the coolant with a hydrometer that is made specifically for this purpose. Bikes don't have freeze plugs like cars, and a cracked cylinder head is a very ugly sight indeed.
That's about it. If you live in an area where rodents will crawl up the tailpipe looking for a place to nest, there are rubber plugs available that you can by to keep them out. The are made for dirt bikes, but will fit any street bike. Also, when you're ready to bring your bike out storage, you might consider changing the brake fluid. It can pick up water from the atmosphere and it's a good idea to change it annually any way.
If you have performed all of the above steps you can be sure that the bike you store for the winter will start and run perfectly come spring.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:24 PM

I just brought mine in the house for the winter. The downstairs area is sorta like a den or something, I keep my computer, hunting stuff, excercise equipment and stuff down there. Now I can sit here and watch TV and the bike and wish I was riding..........

Old 11-09-2008, 11:15 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

I personally dont like or use stabilizer, but i have no proof of why (for what its worth). I just fill my tank before storage, and i have never had an issue. You dont need stands though Dog, if you have them great, if not they are not necessary. One other thing also, once you store it, leave it there till spring. Dont go out and run it during the winter or anything, as Fly posted that will put moisture back in the bike, its also really hard on plugs when its really cold out.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:19 AM

Thanks for all the help!

Old 11-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

np dawg

Old 11-15-2008, 03:12 PM

if you dont have a place to store it go rent a storage building and put a cover over you bike and your fine. I have owned bikes for ten years and have NEVER had an issue with anything come winter. I rent a storage for 20 bucks a month and when its worm a do get it out and ride it. The things that the factory tells you to do to winterize brings them more money and quite possibly saves the factory money if something should happen to the bike if its under warranty. Dont need anything in gas tank but yes fill it up, and dont need stands unless you are storing for a long time because you will get a flat spot on tire.(6 months or longer). Take this for what its worth and you will be fine unless you are just going to leave the bike uncovered outside all winter then you MIGHT have issues come spring...GL