+too much power?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 09:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default +too much power?

I have been riding for a couple of years on my 02 F4i, and have ridden other people's liter bikes before. But after talking to some people they made it seem as if the 1000 were pointless for the street. Meaning that they dont handle as good in the corners as the 600's, and that their only true advantage is 100+mph acceleration. Now i consider myself to have pretty good throttle control, and i dont ride motorcycles for stunts. Do ya'll think the 1000 is too big of a bike for a rider like me? Also im about 6'3 and 190 lbs. It just seems as if i fit on the 1000 better than the 600's. It could be because the 1000 just looks bigger when im sitting on it, but my knees hug the tank better i think. any advice would be great. also how many people here started on a 1000 or how long did it take for ya'll to become comfortable with one? thanks

Old 08-23-2006, 10:03 PM
Default RE: +too much power?

Seems like this question pops up quite often. It really just boils down to what you want. I had an F4i for only a few months before moving up to the 1000RR. I love it. It has much more low end torque and seems much easier to ride. It's not that I disliked the F4i, just that I love the 1000RR even more.

You decide what you want and which bike feels right to you. Then just go for it!

Good luck!

Old 08-23-2006, 10:09 PM

It could also be more comfortable because the 1000RR seat is a bit lower and the bars a bit higher than the 600RR.

If I was only going to ride mine on the street. I'd have gotten a smaller machine. (that or be racing the cops.)

The 1000 engine really needs to be run a bit between 600 and 4000 miles at high rpms (tentatively at first, then more often and longer times) to get the engine broken in properly for it's real forte -- above 150mph). Since my intention is to put it on the racetrack, I purchased a 1000, knowing that I'll get some good breakin runs without getting arrested. As an old experienced racer friend of mine said about the 1000, "After being gentle the first 600 miles, if you break it in the rest of the way like a wuss, it'll run like a wuss from then on." (Also, if you race, don't forget to change the oil more frequently than the manual says to).

Smaller engine displacements can be broken in properly for racing without going to a track, just by taking it to a freeway and running it up in low gear.

Edit: As to the question about how long it would take to get comfortable on the 1000 -- that would depend on a lot of factors.

Old 08-23-2006, 10:39 PM

the 1000 is much better for daily driving. my 600rr felt "boggy" in the low rpm's and wouldn't really move unless i went to 6k or higher. you can keep the rpm's low on the 1000 and get the bike moving just fine. the 1000 is also better for riding two up. as for turning, don't believe everything you hear/read. if 600's turned so much better i don't think motogp would use liter bikes/800's.

Old 08-23-2006, 11:02 PM

In my opinion yes a 600 is easier to control and turn, but there is also because the tires are smaller,and throtle response si less. your bike probably as a 180 rear tire so the bike leans easier and is not as springgy.
On a 1000 you have a 190 which makes the bike spring up every time you try to lean it.
However If you wanna put a 180, you can and you'll get a similar ride just with a pinch of "A LOT MORE POWER"

You quickly become confortable with the riding. I moved up from a R6 not because I outgrew it
but simply because when I tried the cbr 1k I simply just loved the ride and the handling.

Even dough I only weigh 150 I can still handle the bike pretty well within my limits, But the thing I enjoy the most is having that challenge of you trying to kick the bikes *ss.

Just think of the bike like, a woman with a credit card "Its there evrytime she damn needs it"

Old 08-24-2006, 12:02 PM

The 1krr is as easy to ride as any other bike !!! Honda has the touch to make anyone(well almost anyone) able!! Just take your time going through the corners and over bumps cause the throttle is VERY sensitive!!! Just have to respect the beast!!! RIDE RED!!!

Old 08-24-2006, 01:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea 600 for the streets isn't so hot cause of the power being in the higher RPM...so many times i've been frustrated when i was commuting on the bike that the lowend was so sloppy.

just keep a cool head and you'll be ok mang!

as far as the twitch throttle, just get used to it...but even though...if you're relatively new...it can bite you...and harder than a 600...

Old 08-24-2006, 05:54 PM

Given your riding experience, you should be able to qualify for a test ride..best way to tell if it is for you or not.

Old 08-24-2006, 06:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What? they give test rides in philly?
here it's buy it and if it sucks...too bad! hahahah...

Old 08-24-2006, 06:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

What? they give test rides in philly?
here it's buy it and if it sucks...too bad! hahahah...
Not in Philly that I know of. Certain places do in the surrounding suburbs and in New Jersey. The dealer I got mine from offers test rides to riders with experience, so I did not qualify... but I understand their caution. When the guy wheeled the bike off of the delivery truck, I thought, man if I can't handle this, I am screwed. But 1 minute on it and I was all good.

Quick Reply: +too much power?