Tankslappers

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 05:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tankslappers

The last couple of rideouts that I have been on have turned into unnerving experiences to say the least! On landing 60mph+ wheelies (not crossed up) the bike is just about ready to throw me off. Also when accelerating hard through first second and third on a road that is slightly less than smooth seems to send the bars into a frenzy? I thought that the HESD was the best thing since sliced bread!! By the way my tyres are in tip-top condition and the pressures are spot on at 34 front and 40 rear as it came.

Anyone else experienced this? The bike is still under warranty so I assume that this would be covered.

Old 08-08-2005, 09:16 AM
Default RE: Tankslappers

check nuts and bolts all over the front. make sure fork setup is identical. check rear tire for alignment. shouldn't take more than a
few minutes. maybe re-set the suspension by starting at zero after the nut & bolt check.

nice bike. did you see the video posted under the 'who sings this song?' post?

x

Old 08-08-2005, 09:51 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hard acceleration on bumpy roads just sends my front end up -- with smooth landings. I'd be one of the goofy masses to tell ya that the HESD is better than sliced bread. How does your bike react to hard braking? I mean hard as in the back end gets light.

Check the things Thor mentioned -- and if ya come up with nothing take it to the shop. The 1000RR should handle sweet -- best manners of any liter class bike ... period!

Old 08-08-2005, 10:19 AM

Braking is fine, no problem at all. The bike has only covered 2600 miles and so I am a little worried. It is booked in at the dealer on Saturday to try and analyse the problem. I shall try and check for bolt tightness tonight.

Could it be a wheel bearing or headstock bearing damage after continual wheelieing? I have been taking the **** lifting the front end recently!!

Old 08-08-2005, 10:48 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be the steering head bearing but I'd suspect you'd get some odd feedback during hard braking. I dunno about the wheel bearing -- if they were really bad and you had side to side slop it'd handle funny but unless you dropped it off a cliff I doubt they'd be bad so soon. I'm thinking the internals on one (maybe both) fork is blown out -- perhaps a bad spring. If you have a steering stem stand you can eliminate the steering head bearing and wheel bearings.

Here's the stock suspension settings:

front preload - 7 turns out
front rebound damping - 2 turns out
front comp damping - 2 turns out

rear preload - position 4 of 10
rear rebound damping - 2.5 turns out
rear comp damping - 9 clicks out

Old 08-08-2005, 11:46 AM

Thanks for the pointers Chainstretcher, I shall check it out tonight.