Riding in the cold...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 11:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding in the cold...

I like to dress in layers and it works well.I have two problems one is the hands.Left for work this morning at 5:30 am and there was frost on the cover.It was cold and I have a 36 mile ride to work.Hands started to go 12 miles into the ride.Just made it to work without pulling over to warm the hands.
The other problem is I wear one of those full face thin hoods under my helmet.Keeps the head toasty but cuts down on your peripheral vision.Any one have any tips on what they use shure would like to here them.

Old 10-15-2006, 01:02 AM
Default RE: Riding in the cold...

ORIGINAL: hondacbr1000
The other problem is I wear one of those full face thin hoods under my helmet.Keeps the head toasty but cuts down on your peripheral vision.Any one have any tips on what they use shure would like to here them.
I wear the same, but mine doesn't bother my peripheral vision at all? Is the face opening too small?

You're talking about something like this, right?

Old 10-15-2006, 01:22 AM

I've got one similar to that ^ except mine is made by under armor. No visibility problems either. Only got to wear it once or twice though. [&:]
Also, you can shove your gloves into the fairing for a few minutes while you're stopped. Heats them up nicely and lasts for about 10-15 mins.

Old 10-15-2006, 01:15 PM

Oldfatguy my hood looks just like that.except mine is fire retardent.We get them at work for responding to manhole fires.I think yours is probably thinner and that could be my problem with my vision.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:13 AM

UNDERARMOUR makes a winter shirt that is awesome. I swear by it. I had worn it in the cold *** days when i was in Iraq. Works wonders.

Old 10-16-2006, 04:38 AM

I would recommend winter riding gloves. I had the same problem on my last ride to work. It felt like my fingertips were about to explode they were so cold. Then again, I was wearing some Joe Rocket "summer" gloves that end at the wrist and are basically stretch elastic with a leather palm, so no wonder, huh? I also have a pair of Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants and they work beautifully. My jacket is an Icon Motorhead with the insulated liner and have also had zero problems with that, except for wind getting in under the chin and down the back. I think a balaclava (the full hood thing) is definitely in order for me.

Old 10-16-2006, 09:34 AM

I went to a local KMART and bought myself a set of thermos, Long Johns, thin under gloves, balacaver,I wear these under my Icon jeans but if its really cold I put an extra trackpants under my Icons, for the top Thermo under shirt and a woolen jumper then my dianese bike jacket. Its really really warm. A really good set of thermos are the one from KMART...Cheap but really warm...(Better than expensive branded thermos)...!

Old 10-16-2006, 01:39 PM

Damn I thought I was the only one with these problems. Good thread.

Old 10-18-2006, 10:29 PM

If you already have some good leather gloves, go pick up some fleece glove liners. They are cheap and will fit under your regular gloves. They make all the difference in the world. Another trick is to wear the rubber latex surgical gloves under your normal riding gloves. They keep the wind out and keep the heat in. Just get the powder free kind.

Old 10-18-2006, 10:56 PM

ORIGINAL: zerochickenstrips
...except for wind getting in under the chin and down the back. I think a balaclava (the full hood thing) is definitely in order for me.
It's amazing how that little thin thing can make such a difference, but it sure does.

One word of advice -- when buying these, make sure you get one that has really thin seams (or seamless if you can find one). A seam on your head under your helmet can get uncomfortable mighty fast.

Quick Reply: Riding in the cold...