PICs of my new CBR

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PICs of my new CBR

ORIGINAL: YellowJacket1000RR

I hated the idea of cutting holes in my nice fairing plastics, but they look nicer than the scratches I've got in them now after tipping it over yesterday.

BUGGER!
Yeh, I haven't dropped it, but I did have to lay it down. I was pracicing a U-turn drill from my Motorcycle Safety Class where they teach not to have to put your leg down. Anyway, the bike was going too slow (As I was pulling and easing out the clutch to keep some motion thoughout the turn), but when I put my leg down...I underestimated the weight and could not hold the bike up. I simply laid it down and only the slider made contact with the ground.

I was glad I had them sliders. Given the litte scratches on the slider (from the weight alone against the ground), I can only imagine the damage I would have to the fairings if I didn't have them sliders. The $100 investment has already paid off. And from now on, I'll just put my legs down from the start if I ever have to make a U-turn.

Old 07-25-2006, 02:35 PM

Yes, I have the zero gravity double bubble in dark smoke. The double brings air flow up a bit, less fatigue on longer rides. As for the frame sliders, I personally would recommed avoiding the no cut sliders; the simply are not as good; IMO...(before someone jumps me for that comment); if you aren't comfortable cutting the fairing, have your dealer do it, it really wasn't that expensive. Frame sliders and the swingarm spools are definitely two mods i would highly recommend. As for you stock exhaust being loud, guess that's a matter of opinion, I wasn't completely content with the stock exhaust sound, so I added the Two Bros. slip on, now my bike is loud for sure, nice race car sound.

Old 07-25-2006, 05:21 PM

No need for those pics now. I went by the Honda dealer and took some measurements on an existing '06 1000RR shift lever. My lever is bent in 1/4 inch but it looks like it can be straightened out in my vice. I ordered a service manual and some frame sliders as well. In the meantime I looked up in their manual for the torque wrench settings for the allen bolt holding in my shifter pivot (16ftlbs). I'll be working on it tonight.

Just a guess, but Evan, when you dropped it during the low speed u-turn, did you happen to be looking down at the moment it happened? That is something I have learned never to do when I'm going along at a slow creep. And I also have no problem putting a leg out to save the bike when I'm practicing (or otherwise). Yeh, my ego is embarassed, but the bike is saved.

There's an old saying btw, "It is physically impossible for your bike to fall over without an audience being present."

Old 07-25-2006, 05:27 PM

+1 yellowjacket...always plenty of witnesses

Old 07-25-2006, 10:58 PM

be more aggressive with slow speed turning-look behind you!!!!!!!!(promotes looking up) &
this might be/seem stupid!!-but,balance the bike-engine is off
sit on bike-remove feet from ground!!-balance,hold for 10 seconds or more
(no feet on the ground)pain in the *** isnt it-but does change your outlook about things, as
it does do something!/?
ps-i can not do but 5 seconds-this is the most stupid,painless stunt you can do-if you can master it
imgine the looks at stop lights!!!!!!!-think about it!-but attempt it!!again ,it is free but important to attempt,as
the balancing act of your bike is important
outsider8

Old 07-25-2006, 11:30 PM

clean look dude
nice job, good luck with your bike and future mods.
it's never enough.

Old 07-26-2006, 02:50 PM

ORIGINAL: YellowJacket1000RR

No need for those pics now. I went by the Honda dealer and took some measurements on an existing '06 1000RR shift lever. My lever is bent in 1/4 inch but it looks like it can be straightened out in my vice. I ordered a service manual and some frame sliders as well. In the meantime I looked up in their manual for the torque wrench settings for the allen bolt holding in my shifter pivot (16ftlbs). I'll be working on it tonight.

Just a guess, but Evan, when you dropped it during the low speed u-turn, did you happen to be looking down at the moment it happened? That is something I have learned never to do when I'm going along at a slow creep. And I also have no problem putting a leg out to save the bike when I'm practicing (or otherwise). Yeh, my ego is embarassed, but the bike is saved.

There's an old saying btw, "It is physically impossible for your bike to fall over without an audience being present."
Glad you got what you needed to know.

As for my drop, I was looking behind me as they teach, I just didn't keep the speed up and had to put my leg out. Given my position with the handlebars turned as far as they were, I did not put my leg out with enough stiffness and got caught off guard. I tried to hold it up, but the weight and my position was too awkward,..so I laid it down, keeping the "clutch in" as I had rolled on the throttle trying to hold the thing up. So it just laid down, there was no motion at that point. So I was relieved that nothing really happened. I am always mindful to pull in that clutch to get the power off the wheels if something goes wrong, depending upon what it is..