Oil filter boss protusion

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 10:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil filter boss protusion

I just changed the oil on my 08 cbr 1000 and the manual talks about measuring the oil filter boss protrusion. I have already put the oil in and figured I would leave it alone. Has anyone found that they had to adjust this? I assume if it were incorrect, the worse that would happen is that your oil filter would leak.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:41 AM

worst that can happen is your oil filter loosens up, the pressure then pushes the filter loose enough that all of your oil dumps out of your engine onto your rear tire. How do I know?... because it happened to me. 3 quarts of oil gone in a matter of seconds. Although, this was a rebuilt engine from the dealership and I believe the mechanic forgot to set the protrusion in place and just left it loose. I beleive the measurement is to make sure its not loosening out of the block. Im really not sure how they set it, if its staked in place, or they just simply loctite it in place. When I pulled the side cover off, the filter was on by one thread, and the threaded niple was in the block by only a few threads and was loose. the pressure of the engine damn near unscrewed the filter completely.

never had an o****e moment like that, especially trying to stop with an oil covered rear tire.... very slippery..... I got the bike stopped ok, but my rear tire was trashed and my engine developed a knock.... all of this after warranty work on the engine.. what a huge pain in the **** that was. Big mess with attorneys.... lots a fun there.

Now that I've said all of that, I dont really think its a problem from the factory, at least I haven't heard of any issues. My issue was more than likely due to the poor mechanical ability of the mechanic.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:31 AM

Wow! What a mess. I suspect mine will be ok coming from the factory. It is pretty hard to measure when you change the oil with the cowlings on too.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by djy8131
Wow! What a mess. I suspect mine will be ok coming from the factory. It is pretty hard to measure when you change the oil with the cowlings on too.
Hey there, I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything. But u really should take the time to make sure it's right. This link has some pretty good pictures of what you should do. If it's not right you're going to have some problems.

Oil Service - CBR1000RR DIY