No luck with repsol oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No luck with repsol oil

When I first bought my bike last June, the service manager told me after the 600 mile oil change. I should change my oil every 1200 miles from there on. I thought this guy was full of ****, he's just trying to pump me for money. I know have 3800 on the bike and just did my 4th oil change since the 600 mile change. My first 2 changes I used GN4 and at about 800 miles I noticed that my shifts would get alittle rough. The last oil change I used Repsol semi, and like the GN4 the fresh oil made the shifts real smooth, I thought that I my be able to get at least 2000 miles out of the Repsol, but at a 1000 the shifts got rough again. Went back to talk to the service manager yesterday and he said that these bikes are very hard on oil and that I should try HP4 w/moly the moly helps with the sheering action of the shifts, and wont hurt the clutch. This is starting to get very expensive the HP4 w/moly is 10.00 a quart. Does anyone here use the HP4 w/moly and is it worth it.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:55 PM
Default RE: No luck with repsol oil

Not sure with which HP4 or bike you got but I know the 07s are running the 10W-30 thats full synthetic and the service manual says you dont have to change it out until the 8000 mark, but I'll safely change it at the 4000 to be safe. There is an update to the manual check out. Im still at 2900 miles. hope this helps a little

Old 06-03-2007, 03:14 PM

Honda HP4, and I'm riding a 06 1000RR. The 07 is the same engine as a 06 and the manual says 10w40. Maybe the decided that 10w30 works better in these motors. The dealer said that I should stay with a semi-synthetic rather then a full syn. because the mineral base helps the oil stick to the parts better then a full syn.

Old 06-03-2007, 03:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your dealer is full of crap, on the mileage and the type of oil.

Find a place that actually knows a little about the bike you bring them.

Old 06-03-2007, 03:29 PM

I agree but whats causing the hard shifts at 1000 miles on a oil change. The shifts start to get very notchy and loud, were as when fresh its quite and smooth.

Old 06-03-2007, 05:07 PM

The engineers of your bike (the people that actually built it) say to change the oil every at the 8000 mile mark (after your 600 mile oil change) and every 8000 miles after that. YOU DO NOT need moly additive for the bike (this is a friction modifier additive for the older bikes). I was told specifically to NOT use it. I use semi-synthetic HP4 W/O moly and my shifts are pretty smooth.

I also change my oil every 3000 miles....just to be safe. Costs a little more to do it this often, but I'd rather be safe than sorry...invest a little now for a big return later by not having your motor/trans/clutch go prematurely.

Old 06-03-2007, 05:23 PM

Woody RR If I could get 3000 miles between oil changes without rough shifts I would love it that is all I'm trying to do. I know what the manual says and I would never wait that long. All I tryied to say above was that what the service manager said is coming to be true so far. I get to about a 1000 miles and my shifts get rough. My next change I'm going to try Hp4 w/out moly and see if I have any better luck. thanks for the responses

Old 06-03-2007, 05:37 PM

I don't know, maybe they're not topping off the level? Have you checked where the oil level is 1000 miles after the change? Maybe it gets a little low? I'd for sure switch over to the HP4 w/o moly on your next change....I can almost guarantee you will have smoother shifts after the 1k mark.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:12 PM

redloop:

Any oil will degrade due to the engine components working on the fluid. The straight petro types, like the GN4 will degrade the quickest. The 100% synthetics will degrade the slowest. The harder you run your bike, that is, higher the RPM, the faster the oil will degrade. If you ride your bike like the manual describes, you won't be running your bike at high RPM. So, it may be safe to change out your oil every 8000 miles. However, most of us are running these bikes harder than what the manual suggests.

As far as smoothness after an oil change, this is always true. However, as the oil begins to degrade, this smoothness goes away. It happens rather quickly for me - about 2 or 3 rides later. I use the HP4. I plan on using the new HP4S (100% synthetic) when the dealers start putting them on the shelf.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:27 PM

DO NOT USE OIL WITH MOLY! Says so right in your manual. The moly oil will cause problems with your clutch, causing it to slip. The moly particles will embed themselves on the clutch plates and will be there for a long time, even after oil changes. The moly oil is used for non wet type clutches.

Quick Reply: No luck with repsol oil