Newbie, with new 1000 RR, needs your help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Newbie, with new 1000 RR, needs your help!

Clean your chain with high flash contact cleaner and lube it with Maxima chain wax. have a nice day.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:51 PM

there will always be much debate over the chain lube, but i have an egineering degree and some focus on power-transmission.

Use WD-40 all you want nothing bad will happen unless the chain is already worn out and "stretching". basic concepts of a roller pin chain. the friction zone is the pins against the inside wall of the surrounding sleeve. enclosed inside this SEALED sleeve is the lube that is installed by the manufacturer. This lube never needs replacing and will never dirty. however if you have too much tension on the chain it will cause excess friction wearing out the pins causeing an oblonged hole refered to as "stretching"which the oilwill leak out and wearing out the pin hole even faster. If you properly tension a chain you will never need lubing. WD-40 is a great cleaing agent and it does help to lubricate the side plate, in which by comparison have a very low friction area against the sproket. You do want a clean chain because a dirty one won't allow the roller to function properly as it "rolls" over the sproket.

People can argue me if they want but that is "HOW IT WORKS" cleaning it on a regular basis is better than lubing it on a regular basis. try to do it when the chain is hot too. after a ride as opposed to beforea ride.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:01 PM

I used to use WD-40 for chain lube on my old Nighthawk 750, but it seemed like the sprockets were wearing a little fast to me. (With the new O ring chains that's the only reason for chain lube-to prevent rust and lube the sprockets) I now use Repsol chain lube on both of my bikes. It won't sling off. I lube it after a ride, using just enough to do the job and let it dry 'til the next day. And I'm not exactly **** about it. I lube the chain maybe twice a year!
I'd try unplugging the Power Commander and see if your fast idle on cold startup returns.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:27 PM
VP

ORIGINAL: R Navigator

Thank you folks for the helpful replies -- I really appreciate it.

Concerning a Powercommander or the like, where are the likely places for such a thing to be installed? I think this may be the culprit, because once the bike warms up the idle is fine, it's only when cold that it's got an idle problem.

As far as my turn signals go, they're definitely aftermarket LEDs. What's a good source to acquire this resistor that I need?
It's a little box looks like it's usually mounted under the rear seat... but it's small enough to fit lots of places. Ask the person or dealership you bought it from if it had one installed. Here's a picture of it as it would sit under the passenger seat (different bike but you get the idea)

Old 04-04-2008, 06:53 AM

ORIGINAL: mininsx

I used to use WD-40 for chain lube on my old Nighthawk 750, but it seemed like the sprockets were wearing a little fast to me.
that means you had too much tension and the chain wasn't rolling andwas sliding over the teeth, When a chain isn't rolling properly it is usually because the pins have worn and oblonged the holes. slightly looser is better than slightly tighter. You won't wear out a loose chain. But you don't want it too loose there is a chance of bouncing off

Old 04-04-2008, 02:46 PM

ORIGINAL: sweetdeal

I used to use WD-40 for chain lube on my old Nighthawk 750, but it seemed like the sprockets were wearing a little fast to me.
that means you had too much tension and the chain wasn't rolling andwas sliding over the teeth, When a chain isn't rolling properly it is usually because the pins have worn and oblonged the holes. slightly looser is better than slightly tighter. You won't wear out a loose chain. But you don't want it too loose there is a chance of bouncing off
It was adjusted according to the manual, but it had about 15,000 miles on it when I sold it. Maybe it was just needing new chain/sprockets!

Old 04-05-2008, 07:17 AM

It was adjusted according to the manual, but it had about 15,000 miles on it when I sold it. Maybe it was just needing new chain/sprockets!
Well something wasn't correct because 15,000 miles shouldn't need a new chain/sprocket. Thats low miles. IF your sprocket is wearing then the chain isn't functioning properly(rolling over the teeth). No ifs, ands, or buts, about it. WD-40 wouldn't ruin a chain in 15,000 miles something was seriously wrong before you would have applied WD-40. With such low miles it would have had to been adjusted to tight. or if the chain rusted from sitting it could have cause the pins to not roll as well, Back to my original statement a clean chain is a must.