Need some info please

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need some info please

ORIGINAL: mininsx

I don't want to get into an argument, but idling the engine will most certainly NOT charge the battery. The engine has to be around 2500 RPM before the battery will get charged.
Since you're not here to start an argument, you must have a very reliablesource or experimental resultsto back up what you stated above. I'd really be interested to hear where this came from. I'm also curious as to your answer to the following question-

How much electricity does the chargingsystemgenerate at idle?

A.None (the headlights and the other electrical loads are powered solely bythe battery)
B. A little(only enough to partially power the electrical loads, the battery must do the rest)
C. Just enough (enough to power 100% oftheelectrical loads - battery is neither charged nor discharged)

Old 01-08-2008, 09:16 PM

Congrats on basically getting a free 1000rr. I love mine! Did he throw in free insurance? Ride it and sell me your F4i.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:50 PM

i hope knightslugger jumps in on this one.
he is a whiz at charging systems

however lets look at our bible

on page 17-7 of our service manual it says to test the charging system at 5000 rpms
on page 17-6 of same manual it says that a fully charged battery will read 13-13.2 volts

now considering that this same manual. the beat all end all of how to when it comes to this bike on storage
and i quote
"for extended storage, remove the battery, give it a full charge, and store it in a cool dry place. for maximum service life, charge the stored battery every two weeks"

also consider this page
http://webpages.charter.net/knightslugger/CSA.pdf
knightslugger was so kind to publish this charging system troubleshooting flow chart and you will note that you check initial voltage at 2500 rpms and should only read 13.5v

now consider back to what a charged battery should be 13.5

here is a thread with a good read.
got a quote from honda in it saying that the charging system doesnt kick in until 2500 rpms
(exactly what i originally said)
http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.p...t=storage+idle

and never ever question me again [:'(]

Old 01-08-2008, 10:01 PM
RCR

ORIGINAL: dangerranger21

Yeah I have a battery tender for it and Im not just letting it idle I will be taking it out to ride im just making sure that no adjustments are comming up on it being that its so new. thanks for all the help
Put the tender back on the shelf.. and ride the bike like you planned. Just be careful or your Bro will kill ya just the same as he trusted you.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:45 PM

I can only assume this reply is directed at me, as I'm the only one in the forum who'spointed out your misinformation. It boils down to this: Either I have a one-of-kind 2007 CBR 1000RR, or you're just another techno wannabe who gets his "information" from other unqualified wannabes. As we look into this issue, keep in mind that all I said was the battery is charged (not discharged) when the bike is idling.

ORIGINAL: baxsom

on page 17-7 of our service manual it says to test the charging system at 5000 rpms
on page 17-6 of same manual it says that a fully charged battery will read 13-13.2 volts
Fantastic. How does thissupport your claim that the battery is discharged while idling? It doesn't, not by a long shot.

now considering that this same manual. the beat all end all of how to when it comes to this bike on storage
and i quote
"for extended storage, remove the battery, give it a full charge, and store it in a cool dry place. for maximum service life, charge the stored battery every two weeks"
What's your point? Did I say anything to the contrary?

also consider this page
knightslugger was so kind to publish this charging system troubleshooting flow chart and you will note that you check initial voltage at 2500 rpms and should only read 13.5v

Sobecause a generic troubleshooting flow chart says 2500 RPM should give you 13.5 volts, that means an '06 CBR 1000RR discharges the battery at idle? Wow, there's an air-tight case.

got a quote from honda in it saying that the charging system doesnt kick in until 2500 rpms
Yeah, more bogus information. You people are like a virus. The charging system doesn't kick in until 2500 RPM??? What load of crap!!!

I'm not questioning you, I'm correcting you.

You see, I'm not just somesportbike enthusiastwith an attitude, I'm anelectrical engineer. I've been charging sealed lead-acid batteries for 15 years usingDC powersupplies that I designed and built.I know a thing or two about this stuff. I also have extensive hands-on experience with the CBR1000 as I've done extensive testing with the fuel delivery, ignition, and charging systems. In developingmy charging system failure detector, I made several measurements of the charging system performance,and I know exactlywhata healthy charging system should do atidle RPM.

So what about you? Where does your technical expertise come from? How much have you personally worked with the electrical systems onthis bike?

We can end this debate right here:
If you have a decent quality digital voltmeter, go out to your bike and measure the voltage at your battery's terminals, write down the voltage. Next turn the key to on, wait 5 seconds and writedown the voltage. Start the bike (hi beam off)and measure the voltageafter a minute or so, record the number. Turn on the high beam and record the number. Report back to the forum with your numbers and we'll discuss.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:30 AM

ORIGINAL: SD2007

I can only assume this reply is directed at me, as I'm the only one in the forum who'spointed out your misinformation. It boils down to this: Either I have a one-of-kind 2007 CBR 1000RR, or you're just another techno wannabe who gets his "information" from other unqualified wannabes. As we look into this issue, keep in mind that all I said was the battery is charged (not discharged) when the bike is idling.

Fantastic. How does thissupport your claim that the battery is discharged while idling? It doesn't, not by a long shot.

and i quote
What's your point? Did I say anything to the contrary?

also consider this page

Sobecause a generic troubleshooting flow chart says 2500 RPM should give you 13.5 volts, that means an '06 CBR 1000RR discharges the battery at idle? Wow, there's an air-tight case.

Yeah, more bogus information. You people are like a virus. The charging system doesn't kick in until 2500 RPM??? What load of crap!!!

I'm not questioning you, I'm correcting you.

You see, I'm not just somesportbike enthusiastwith an attitude, I'm anelectrical engineer. I've been charging sealed lead-acid batteries for 15 years usingDC powersupplies that I designed and built.I know a thing or two about this stuff. I also have extensive hands-on experience with the CBR1000 as I've done extensive testing with the fuel delivery, ignition, and charging systems. In developingmy charging system failure detector, I made several measurements of the charging system performance,and I know exactlywhata healthy charging system should do atidle RPM.

So what about you? Where does your technical expertise come from? How much have you personally worked with the electrical systems onthis bike?

We can end this debate right here:
If you have a decent quality digital voltmeter, go out to your bike and measure the voltage at your battery's terminals, write down the voltage. Next turn the key to on, wait 5 seconds and writedown the voltage. Start the bike (hi beam off)and measure the voltageafter a minute or so, record the number. Turn on the high beam and record the number. Report back to the forum with your numbers and we'll discuss.

I have to go with the Electrical Engineer...

Old 01-09-2008, 06:36 AM

i didnt say that the bike idling will discharge. i said that cranking and idling and that is all you are doing will drain the battery. you are making it out to sound like just letting the bike sit and idle will cause the battery to go down. no the cranking over and over and not actually bringing the rpms up will. at idle the battery is not charging or discharging it is maintaining. since a battery will drain just sitting there on the shelf not to mention installed in a bike with the clock causing a constant draw. idle will not charge the battery enough to keep it full once it gets drained.

i dont need an engineering degree to prove what i have seen with my own eyes.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:05 AM

you are making it out to sound like just letting the bike sit and idle will cause the battery to go down.
Uhh, no that was you: "the charging system doesnt kick in until a few thousand rpms so idling will only drain the battery..."

no the cranking over and over and not actually bringing the rpms up will.
And you know RPM is critical because... You'vetakenmeasurements?You'repsychic? The charging system issupplying currentall the way from idle to 5000 RPM and beyond, it doesn't have a "kick-in" RPM.

at idle the battery is not charging or discharging it is maintaining. since a battery will drain just sitting there on the shelf not to mention installed in a bike with the clock causing a constant draw. idle will not charge the battery enough to keep it full once it gets drained.
We'll see what the battery is doing once you postthe results from your measurements.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:26 PM

i saw a battery voltage major drop from key off to key on
idle voltage went to 14.4 on a warm bike at 1200rpms
so yes initially i thought i was wrong

with the high beam on idling the voltage dropped very slowly but still dropped
it went from 14.4 with the high beam off to 13.9 at idle with the high beam on after 30 mins of running undisturbed

blipped the throttle and immediatly the meter went back to 14.5 to be exact at 2000 rpms

maybe the charging system is wack but it still passes the tests in the manual.
so you can tell me all day long idle will charge the battery and i will admit that i didnt see a drop until the high beam was on but i will trust the evidence my own eyes showed to me over your word anyday. no offense but i dont know you or anything about your cracker jack engineering degree but i do know what i saw for myself

Old 01-09-2008, 01:40 PM

oh look another thread that supports my standpoint
http://www.1000rr.net/forums/showthr...dle&page=2

hey look yet another that says that starting and idling will kill it
http://www.1000rr.net/forums/showthr...=charging+idle

another one with that magic 2500 rpms number
http://www.1000rr.net/forums/showthr...age&page=2
there seems to be a lot people that believe the same way i do, maybe we are all a bunch of idiots but i have been called worse by people i can see face to face.

Quick Reply: Need some info please