Need some info please

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some info please

So my brother has blessed me with his awesome 06 1000rr he wants me to look after it and take care of it for him for about a year. The bike has about 2400miles on it. Is there anything I should know about services, oil changes, etc? And yes I will be riding it once in awhile just to let it run here and there the bike I ride right now is a 01 F4i so i am pretty much honored to babysit it for him

Old 01-07-2008, 06:24 PM
Default RE: Need some info please

That sounds like a great deal. He obviously trusts you. Enjoy the bike and ride carefully.

Nothing I can really think of offhand about servicing the bike. Just the usual stuff

Old 01-07-2008, 07:52 PM

do not just let it run
you are better off unhooking the battery and just letting it sit than cranking it and just letting it idle.

the charging system doesnt kick in until a few thousand rpms so idling will only drain the battery and letting the exhaust warm up and then cool back down quickly will cause condensation

oil changes are only required every 8K miles. most people change it earlier.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:36 PM

let me babysit your f4i while you babysit the 1krr.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:13 PM

ORIGINAL: baxsom

do not just let it run
you are better off unhooking the battery and just letting it sit than cranking it and just letting it idle.

the charging system doesnt kick in until a few thousand rpms so idling will only drain the battery and letting the exhaust warm up and then cool back down quickly will cause condensation

Agree with above. Either ride it regularly, or if it must sit usea battery tender.

Also, when you do start it, make sure you get it up to operating temps on the highway somewhere (180+) and run it. You will get water in the oil from a quick startup and shutoff. This frequently happens to demo bikes at stealerships that are frequently started and not ridden.

cheers.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:52 AM

do not just let it run

Ouch. Idling the engine will NOT drain the battery, it will charge it. I'm not recommending this as a means of maintaining the battery, but let's keep this factual.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:54 AM

He must trust you more then I trust most of my friends. LOL back to your question, with that amount of miles their is not much you need to do just change the oil after 2K miles and keep the chan lubed up. depending how hard the bike was ridden check out the brake pads and fluid levels. and you will be Golden

Keep the rubberdown

Old 01-08-2008, 04:53 PM

ORIGINAL: SD2007

do not just let it run

Ouch. Idling the engine will NOT drain the battery, it will charge it. I'm not recommending this as a means of maintaining the battery, but let's keep this factual.
I don't want to get into an argument, but idling the engine will most certainly NOT charge the battery. The engine has to be around 2500 RPM before the battery will get charged.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:43 PM

I would also use a battery tender.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:09 PM

Yeah I have a battery tender for it and Im not just letting it idle I will be taking it out to ride im just making sure that no adjustments are comming up on it being that its so new. thanks for all the help

Quick Reply: Need some info please