need assistance picking a bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 06:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need assistance picking a bike

guys this is my first post i will go up and do an intro after this. i have a question currently i own a harley softtail with 120 ci motor and 143 hp/tq not your avg hd i ride it hard and it has other mods thAT are not really necessay to say because they dont pertain to my question.
i have rode mc all my life i am43 yrs old.
ride my buddies busa every again .
i have the opportunity to get a 2007 cbr1000rr with less the 200miles on it yes its real it sat in a friends garage and he lost intrest then had kids and got married now hes gettin seperated from his wife his problem not mine. well i have been looking at hondas for the last 2 yrs600rr and the 1000rr i could buy a brand new 600 because of the insurance is cheaper but this bike came along and the ins is pretty much a few dollars diffrence.
questions.
should i buy the 07 1000
or should i get the brand new 2009 600rr due to my lack of experience with sport bikes.
want to make the decision by tuesday morning
my hd is no slouch and love the tq and power but the sport bikes imo is what my heart truly desires also the maintaince on the harley at this level is quite expensive
all opinions welcome and thank you for your time.
if i posted this in the wrong spot i apologize

Old 06-20-2010, 08:48 PM

You'll get some opinions both ways here. Plenty of people that say that you should not have a 1kRR for your first sport bike so be prepared. I would say get the 1K if you can moderate your right hand, but if you don't have the self-control you might be better jumping on a 600 instead....

Old 06-20-2010, 09:10 PM

self control is an issue at times. the guy at the honda service told me a 600 is all i would need ..i know that wanted some feed back from guys who ride these machines it is easy to get caught up in the numbers ego game.
how good was the 2007 1000
also the honda dealer has a leftover 2008 600 rr would that be a good start also. thanks for your input like i said all options open i would like to get the ball rollin befor the deals end by the end of the month.
thank you
G

Old 06-20-2010, 10:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A 600cc sportbike is nothing to sneeze at. I don't ever see myself moving up to a liter bike. Honestly the difference between a 600cc and 1000cc bike in the city is how soon you have to hit the brakes for the next stoplight / stop sign.

I took the MSF Experienced Rider Course today, where you have to bring your own bike. A couple guys had liters there. Everyone was pretty good with their bikes but the liter riders did have more difficulty controlling the power of the bikes to do the exercises. Slow speed maneuvering, setting cornering entry speed and tight maneuvering (like that damn figure 8) pushed them pretty hard because of the finesse needed on the throttle. One guy said his bike would likely stall out trying some of the maneuvers. It wasn't true in the end. But he had never worked the throttle like that before.

Also, a sport bike will be completely different from your HD. Control, seating position, maneuvering. Again at the ERC today, there were a couple cruisers. They didn't have the difficulties the sport bike riders did. True, in a straightline burst they'd be lucky to read our plates before they needed binoculars. But when it came to twisting their bikes thru the offset weave and the box, they shamed us. It just illustrated how the two types of bikes were so different in how we controlled them. I think you'll have a transition period that'll prolly frustrate you at times when you're scratching your head going "I'm not this ****ing bad!".

You've got experience which is a leg up on n00b riders. You'll adjust faster than someone that's never ridden before. But it's a completely different animal than your HD. And you'll still have the same issue as a n00b: trying to learn to ride a sport bike while trying to control the liter's throttle.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:12 AM

I have worked my way up the displacement ladder over the course of many years. I rode an 80inch harley in high school. As soon as I figured out that I would have more fun on a bike that I could lean without grinding the hard bits on the road, I made the switch.
350cc two stroke to 600cc hurricane to 750GSX-R to CBR1000RR. The 600 would dust the vast majority of harleys. Todays 600s are serious sport bikes and they put out roughly the same hp as your current ride. I would start there. I may eventually downsize myself... there really isn't anywhere to legally use what the 1000 has other than the racetrack.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:21 AM

thats why i posted up here to get some facts. ill let my ego cool then more then likely take a good hard look at the 600. found a place that has some 2008 left over 600 might even look at them.
thanks guys

Old 06-21-2010, 10:19 AM

can you get leyla instead?

Old 06-21-2010, 06:01 PM

the leyla is not out of the question neither is the phoenix but i have to see just how desperate they are to make a sale.
i have a lot of money intomy hd and am trading it in so well see.
parts on my motor cost as much as a sport bike but the market for used hd is real soft never mind highly modified ones.
ill see come tomorrow or wednesday. by the weekend i have to have the front end on my softtail removed and the old one i have to put back on. .
so lets see how it goes.
in my head the deal works out great but when i explained it to the wife she did not think it was such a good idea. she does not ride but she thinks the sport bikes are way too fast . my bike runs high 10 sec at the track so its no slouch but like i mentioned before i just want to get on and ride im tired of every time i come from a long hard ride i have to go over every nut and bolt to make sure its tight.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:59 PM

DON'T get a 600, you won't like it. You're used to lots of torque down low and a 600 is gutless until you wind them out, whereas a 1000 has much more torque at a lower RPM.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:20 AM

imo, 07 1000rr is the best looking cbr. but for performance, i heard the new 1k's are crazy good

Quick Reply: need assistance picking a bike