My '08 1000 review!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 03:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

9737 and built in 3/08. A durability issue that didn't show in the early development testing would be my guess. Thats not unusal in new models but you would expect it to be remedied by a company with the quality reputation that Honda has. Interesting also that changes in the '10 model include the crank where problems showed up in racing.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:04 AM

WOW.... how expensive is that oil that you can't add a quart while it's breaking in?

In all seriousness, I wouldn't what a new vehicle that consumed massive amounts of oil, but I think I could tollerate using alittle oil during the break-in period.

After that period was over then I'd be a little concerned but it's been my experience (with cars) that given a little time for the rings to seat the oil consumption goes way down.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:18 AM

My '08 was broke in as directed by Honda, with no oil issues. I ride it hard sometimes, but not everytime I get on it. It has 5400 miles on it.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:10 PM

Why would you ride 1000 miles on break in oil???

Also your post starts with its a great bike and its a piece of ****e in the same sentence.

Do us a favor when you leave Honda make sure the door smacks you in the ***.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by jgos929

Also your post starts with its a great bike and its a piece of ****e in the same sentence.

pitted, so pitted.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:02 PM

Talked to my dealer today and was encouraged. They said to bring it in and they would try to rectify the problem.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Default 18k on mine

Originally Posted by GP Paul
I just wish there was a reliable way to judge the oil issue:
*can't rely on dealer feedback
*nothing from Honda
*polls on forums mostly get gripes rather than true statistics

*mine's good

I have 18k on mine now and no issues. run valcvoline 10w-30 4stoke cycle oil and have no probs.I love my bike and will buy another for sure. Make sure bike is level when checking oil. let it warm up then sit for ahwile befor checking. I just dont get all the hype. i just put a brand new set of pilot powers on it and still reminds me how much i love it.

here is a vid with couple of zx10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdI8I...layer_embedded

Attached Thumbnails My '08 1000 review!-100_4355.jpg   My '08 1000 review!-100_4350.jpg  
Old 10-14-2009, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by jgos929

First of all douchbag . . said it was a great bike to ride, not just a great bike

secondly . . if you think that 400 miles or so is the difference between my bike burning oil like a lamp & other peoples not burning oil your stupid, my shop doesn't & id say your bike doesn't put break oil in these bikes when you buy them, they put Honda GN4 in em

lastly . . brand loyalists like you make me sick, you think Honda gives a d*mn who buys their bikes

Dallas aint to far for me to drive to kick your *** & take the respect your parents obviously didn't raise you with . . two things come out of Texas buddy!

Old 10-14-2009, 09:04 PM

I did a hard break in (hard accel and deccels for the first 200 miles) on my bike, and did the oil change at 600.. I have not had any oil burning issues. I have almost 5k miles on it and it runs just as good now if not better..

Old 10-14-2009, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by JG~the~RT
First of all douchbag . . said it was a great bike to ride, not just a great bike

secondly . . if you think that 400 miles or so is the difference between my bike burning oil like a lamp & other peoples not burning oil your stupid, my shop doesn't & id say your bike doesn't put break oil in these bikes when you buy them, they put Honda GN4 in em

lastly . . brand loyalists like you make me sick, you think Honda gives a d*mn who buys their bikes

Dallas aint to far for me to drive to kick your *** & take the respect your parents obviously didn't raise you with . . two things come out of Texas buddy!
Wow... stay classy san diego!

on another note.. the one thing that I dont like about the BMW, it still has front turn signals not integrated... you would think for a peice of art machina, it would incorporate the mirror/turn signals. Honestly, the pitbull-esque styling of the CBR is more pleasant for me to look at. Also, I cant stand the winking pirate look of the un-symetrical kraut burner.

if I were to get a third bike which wouldnt happen, id look at the VFR12. Nothing beats the reliability of bikes built in the land of the rising sun. with my medical condition, I cant ride sport bikes forever, but the comfort level on the vfr would be acceptable (I have a rod in my back, 14 inches long) . Id love to have that in my bike collection along side of my 03 SP2 RC51, 08 CBR1000rr, and I still am looking for a first gen VFR500 to ride around town.

Quick Reply: My '08 1000 review!