My '08 1000 review!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 09:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My '08 1000 review!

Here's my 2 cents . .

The 08-09 1000's as great as they are to ride are poorly engineered oil burning piece of sh*ts!

Read the review thread the other guy posted on here, I'm having all those issues and then some. Mine has 3888 miles after changing my first oil change at 1000 miles . . the next one is due at 9000 miles and I check my oil level for the first time yesterday and the damn oil was so low it didnt even show on the dipstick!

So I called my local Honda shop & he said it's just still breaking in! I've owned 10 or so bikes of all brands and have never had to add a drop between oil changes, neither when it was new or had 1000's of miles on them.

My bike has a yosh r-77 carbon slip-on, seat cowl, PC 5 custom mapped and the air flapper mod. It runs like a beast but drinks oil and spits & sputters & back-fires like its under water!

I'm not a brand loyalist which to me is stupid to begin with . . but Honda usually does better & i guess like their cars their starting to lose their competitive edge.

Now with the recent price drop I can't even afford to sell the damn thing for what I owe. I don't care how light, flickable, great handling, light weight & all the other good stuff about the bike that these people go on about, but to me it aint worth it!

I just want out from under this Lemon & the debt is has caused me! Hell they've already had about 3 recalls on them & thats not including the one they should do over the oil consumption issues.

I'm going to go pre-order my BMW S1000rr next week & hopefully they'll give me good trade in value on my piece~o~sh*t cbr! I figure I got the price of the BMW in my bike including aftermarket parts.

Sorry all you 08 fireblade lovers, but the good characteristics have just not kept up with the downside to these bikes & I had to sound off!

If anyone is thinking about getting one, I say don't! Not even at the new low price. I wouldn't do it again & I practically stole mine at the time.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:11 AM

I changed my oil at 600 miles like the manual says not 1,000 miles..It was break in oil and kinda greyish color when it came out...I followed break in instructions and avoided doing full throttle excelerations..I see no signs that my cbr is burning oil as of yet. If you hate your bike so much you should trade it for something else, it sounds like you got a great deal so you should not suffer such a loss.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:07 AM

Mine burns no detectable oil after 2K miles.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:23 AM

my 08 was low on oil when I did the the oil change at 600 miles.But since then it has not burned any noticeable oil now at 1800 miles. And I whooped it right from the start. I figure it was mostly from the rings not being seated. My cummins burned oil right after I had it rebuilt, after about 3-4000 miles the rings seated and it don't burn anymore oil.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:44 PM

mine always has burned a LOT of oil. the spitting and sputtering he is referring to is a tune issue not an oil issue. i understand the madness about oil as i get pissed also but i cant change it so i just check and fill on a regular basis.

one helluva bike minus the oil issue.

and update/recalls are normal on a new model until they get the kinks ironed out.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was more of a gripe than a review. I never noticed any oil issues with my stolen bike, I only have around 250 on the new bike and haven't seen anything. I'm sure as I get more miles I'll see something, than I too will write a review ;-)

Old 09-11-2009, 07:34 PM

I just wish there was a reliable way to judge the oil issue:
*can't rely on dealer feedback
*nothing from Honda
*polls on forums mostly get gripes rather than true statistics

*mine's good

Old 09-13-2009, 09:50 AM

I do not mean this as an insult in any way.... but is it possible that people aren't following directions when checking their oil? If you idle the bike for 2-3 mins and check the oil right away it will show low. You have to wait a few minutes...I think the manual says to wait 2-3 minutes, and it takes that long.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:58 AM

I have followed everything to a T and mine drinks oil. Have had it only a month and has about 3000 miles and I am having to add oil every 200 miles. Now it is starting to smoke on quick starts and heavy load and the back of my pipe is black with soot. Going to take it to the dealer next week and see if the warranty is worth the paper it is written on.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:02 PM

followed break-in to a T also? I wonder if you have an early model. What's the last 4 of your VIN? Mine is 2601. Are the problem bikes earlier in the production run? Anyone with an 09 seen this behavior?

You would think that bikes built in the same manner would behave the same way, for the most part, excluding other variables. I'm thinking they must've changed something for my bike and some others to act totally differently. I'm wondering if break-in could be a factor here.

Quick Reply: My '08 1000 review!