Lowered 1000RR

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 12:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lowered 1000RR

I haven't noticed a BIG diff in handling, but i haven't had it on the track yet. It feels a little more stable at high speeds, and i think that is caused by the fork caster being a little higher from lowering the rear more than the front. The only real negative i have noticed is that to clear the windscreen at full left/right parking lot type turns, i had to position the clip-ons a little "in" from what they were before i moved em to the top of the upper clamp. Also the steering feels just a bit, i'm gonna say tighter, on lower speed (under 40mph) turns, which i think is cause by a loss of leverage from the bar ends being "in" or closer together and the additional caster angle. The pros FAR outweigh the cons to me, and the bike is so much more comfortable to ride (for me). I no longer slide into the tank every time i brake, and can very comfortably ride w/one hand, which felt very weird before unless i was over 60mph. Def not s/thing everyone should be doing to their bike, but it has turned my bike from being fun to ride, into being fun, comfy, and s/thing i can ride all day w/out being sore the next. Not sure if your asking if i CAN take it to the track, or if i would, but other than the pegs being a lil lower, i don't see why not. Don't know about you, but i don't think i'll ever get NEAR the lean angle its capable of anyway. It now has almost the same rider position as my freinds 03 interceptor, which is WAY more comfortable, but still leaves him in the dust !! Lots o fun !!

Old 09-20-2006, 12:49 PM

Thanks for the info.

Old 09-21-2006, 11:17 AM

FATHEADS1KRR
I am 5'8" on a good and was thinking of lowering my 05 1krr. Did you need any special tools to help in adding lowering link to the rear and do i have to lower the front as well if i lower the rear? Thanks for any help!

Old 09-21-2006, 12:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Juju22

FATHEADS1KRR
I am 5'8" on a good and was thinking of lowering my 05 1krr. Did you need any special tools to help in adding lowering link to the rear and do i have to lower the front as well if i lower the rear? Thanks for any help!
No special tools really, just need some way of suspending the bike while you do it since reg stands the attach to the swing arm won't do you much good. I have an elec hoist in my shop that i hung it from. The rear link is REALLY easy to do tho. Took me all of 15 min to install it, and didn't even have to remove tho lower fairing. Just 2 bolts out of it to tighten the front link bolt. Would strongly suggest doing the front as well. I think its when you don't that real handling problems pop up cuz your changing the front caster angle. It felt really nice just lowered in the rear, from a riding pos point of view, but i would do the front too, and the front is pretty much free, cept for your time. There is a taper on the front forks tho, which keep you from lowering the front by just loosening e/thing up n dropping it. Your clip-ons end up on the skinny part and don't want to tighten up. Moved mine to the top of the upper clamp. Worked out well, other than havin to make a few adjustments to keep stuff from hitting the windscreen at full left/right turns, but wasn't too hard after seeing that i just needed a lil more room. Did have to "twist" the throttle cable assembly down in front, or forward, but that only involves taking it loose and drilling a small hole just above the factory hole that locates the throttle to keep it from twisting. The brake res just took a lil bending of the braket, and i bent the braket that attaches to the windscreen on the pass side just a tiny lil bit to make it clear the clutch res. Sounds like it is a big deal, but it really wasn't, and other than the clip-ons being on top of the upper clamp, and the fact that its WAY more comfortable, you wouldn't know by looking at it that it isn't factory. Would be happy to send you some pics of how it turned out, to help you decide if you want to do it, but this site doesn't let me upload em unless they are resized which is a pain. Can email em to ya tho. Can't tell you how much more fun it is to ride now that it fits me. BIG diff !! Looks way cool too, i think.

Old 09-21-2006, 12:58 PM

Correction, not a bend on the "passenger" side !! DUH Small bend of the braket on the left side of the windscreen !! To make it clear the clutch resv. Sorry !!

Old 09-21-2006, 11:31 PM

Please send me some pics at onerom01@sbcglobal.net, I would really appreciate it. I just ordered the lowering kit for rear from morepowerracing.com hopefully gets here by Saturday so I can start working on it.

Old 09-22-2006, 01:08 PM

Sent !!

Old 09-25-2006, 05:47 PM

me too

Old 09-25-2006, 09:00 PM

Would be happy to, but would be a lot easier for me if i can email em to you over regular email. Have to resize em all otherwise.

Old 11-23-2006, 04:27 AM

Hi, Could you send me some pics of your front triple clamp, clip ons etc... I installed the rear links and tried riding, it was OK, but I want to lower the front too. I'm 5'6" and if guys 5'9" are lowering theirs, I know I needed to lower mine. When I'm riding it's fine, but backing down my driveway is scary when my feet don't touch going down the curb if you know what I mean. also, Can I just bend the kickstand out a little like my cruiser? I don't know how to weld.

Thanks,

David

Quick Reply: Lowered 1000RR