Kph - mph

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 01:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
I heard something similar back in grade school. They said that within 10 years everything in the U.S. would be converted to the metric system. That was over 40 years ago.
haha, they told me the same thing 30 yrs ago.

Moses

Old 09-07-2010, 01:45 PM

Do you think just changing the speedo and ECU out with American (or British because I have HISS) would suffice?
I don't know that you can. I think the ignition tumbler, ecu, wiring harness... are all specific to the HISS. I don't know that the guage cluster is specific or not. An American one would probably not work if it is, since American bikes are not equiped with HISS. I think your idea of finding a European gauge is your best bet.

Have you contacted a dealer to see what is possible to change?

I would also still check to see what restrictions it has, Im sure it has restrictions that are limiting its power.

Sorry, wish I could be more help, but you've got a pretty rare problem going on.

I know its frowned upon sometimes to suggest other sites.. but I think in this case, it would be ok since its a rare problem.

You may want to also check out:
www.fireblades.org
www.1000rr.net

Old 09-07-2010, 08:54 PM

Ive done some basic searches on the other 2 sites, and found little... I called the local dealership today and he told me that an ECU change should fix the speed issue (and maybe power as well) but he was little helpful with the speedo issue, Ive searched for them on ebay but can only find American ones, I guess I should try ebay.uk?

Thanks for the responses so far!
Ive got an American ECU coming from an 06 1000rr off ebay ($50) I just need to find out how difficult it will be to change it myself.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:12 PM

The dealership said something about getting mugen parts also because its japan made also... anyone know this to be true?

Old 09-08-2010, 12:56 AM

Found this information so far...

http://dtsymbal.narod.ru/cbr1000rr/fullpower/

I was also told to email the owner of this site, because he lives there, and knows quite a bit about the conversion, and maybe ECU wiring to make it happen.
http://www.hardpartsjapan.com

Last edited by furryferret88; 09-09-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:26 AM

And I bought a HISS speedo from ebay.co.uk for about $150... forgot how much in British pounds, so that will be a direct plug and play, with a few more miles though
I already have a full yoshi exhaust on it... so the last things I would need (per this site) is a new rear sprocket and it seems ill be good to go!

Last edited by furryferret88; 09-08-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

It always cracks me up when people say America is die hard in their ways. I've seen America bending over backwards to please other countries in so many different ways, for so long, its sickening. Comments like that are so far off base and just plain ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm.... someone's a bit touchy today. He he...

Um, Who said America is die hard? And who says that's a bad thing anyway. I think you'll find you've invented your own compliment. A yard of lager to you.

If you think America has a lot of different measuring scales, try getting your head round some of the prehistoric variants still kicking around in the UK. Damn it some recipe books even have measurements in cups. Is that egg cup or super sized coffee mug? I'll stick to weighing in grains thanks.

The thing is, metric is based on water. What could be more sensible than that. Perhaps a system based on sand if you lived in the desert, otherwise a system based on beer would suffice. I fill my tank using drams these days. It somehow seems cheaper.
I guess the arguments will keep raging.
Anyway, nice to see our man in Russia has finally given a concise answer, if you own an RR. Nice work anyway.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:03 PM

Got an email back from the guy at hardpartsjapan.com this is what he emailed me

That should fix the speed limiter issue

He said that the Russian site was correct, I have translated and copied it into our How to section for others like me.

Last edited by furryferret88; 09-09-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:16 PM

I run across this before, I'm not sure if it is correct:

Yes japan regulates the HP to about 97hp..wow, but true! This is where I'm at, at the moment. I've changed the exhaust to a complete Yoshi system with a header, added a power commander3, changed all the air funnels (US have larger diameter holes for air), change the ram air intake to a US intake because the Japanese is about 50% blocked (restricted) added K&N filters. This all did ZERO, I had bike dyno'd before and after and got ZERO hp added. Because of the HISS key code you can't just change the ECM to a US ecm. The bike will not start. I've now been told that I need a US wire harness/loom to go with my US ecm and that the HISS can be by-passed. I did find an old post "derestricting your Japan ECM" and I tried what was instructed to do but nothing also. I've tried everything possible so far with no luck, now I'm searching for a used uncut US wire loom. My last resort before I sell !

I also looked at this but it seems as tho this is for '08 +.

http://www.moto-works.jp/products/power_converters.html

Old 09-09-2010, 09:32 PM

Go to ebay.co.uk they have HISS ECUs for sale there and they keys to match... you throw in the new ECU and get your keys cut to your ignition and your good to go... it costs about $300 though...

Like this one...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-CBR1000-...item255d095110

Here is their website so you can order direct... They don't need to know that you have a Japan bike... their whole deal is for someone that looses their keys, and because of our HISS systems, one would need the new ECU and keys to match that code...

Try that and tell me how it goes!

Also, have you looked at the ECU... does it look like the one pictured in my other thread?
https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mechanical-40/how-convert-your-jap-cbr-1000rr-us-euro-spec-116233/

if so... its that easy, one cut and a rewire!

Last edited by furryferret88; 09-09-2010 at 09:38 PM.