Keyless Ignition (Push Button) Start

Old 10-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Keyless Ignition (Push Button) Start

So I have yet to find any clear answers as to how to properly do a keyless ignition setup for a track bike. I have a 2006 and I have the shop manual with the wiring diagram, but from what I've found online, some people are saying that there is a third wire in the ignition to prevent hotwiring. However, I have yet to find this physically on my bike.

If anyone has some answers, I'd be much obliged! I just can't seem to find any good information. I have a new set of Marzocchi forks and the triple that came with them doesn't have a good mounting system for the ignition and I could really care less about the ignition since the bike is track only.

I've heard some people just say to cut the two wires going to the bottom of the ignition assembly and splice in a switch. However, some other info on the net suggests that's a bad idea...

Anyone willing to chime in?

Old 11-02-2010, 02:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was just bored and decided to browse the 1000rr section...I was having ignition problems on my f4i a few months ago and was thinking about just saying fu*k it and making a toggle switch so i didnt have to deal with the ignition switch at all since our f4i's have a third wire that you mentioned. Its wired to a zener diode that drops the voltage from 12 to 9 and the bike wont start unless this wire is sending a 9v signal to the ecu for anti theft/hotwiring purposes. Anyway in my search for a diy write up i came across this one for 1000rr's, hope its useful....

http://www.1000rr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69472

Old 11-03-2010, 10:45 PM

Hey nickp123,

That's actually a buddy of mine's thread. I left out some details about my setup that complicates things worse, but I found a great solution that will work for me (crossing fingers). From the wiring diagram I have, it doesn't look like there is a zener diode and there is definitely not a third wire...which makes me scratch my head because if they had it on a F4i, why the hell would a 1000rr not have the same kind of anti-theft feature?!?!?!

Probably because they know that three big huge a$$ dudes will just come, two will have giant hooks that they hook around the wheels, lift up, and the third dude opens the doors to the van and they toss it in the van and drive off (no hotwiring necessary)....

btw, that's exactly what happened to mine. It was fun watching them do it on our security camera in our underground garage facility...they had to carry it up a ramp to the street so at least I made them work for it!

Old 11-03-2010, 10:59 PM

It probably does have a security measure built into the ignition. I had a machine stolen and was lucky enough to get it back...I know they never got it started because it had a resistor built into the bottom end of the ignition. When the thief tried to start it by forcing a screwdriver into the ignition they busted the resistor. Then they tried hotwiring it unsucessfully. I had an old tv that was fubared laying around and stole a resistor from it, wired it into the circuit and it fired right up. The resistor is color coded so you can determine its value.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:12 AM

Yeah the 1000s dont have that third pink wire with the diode in the ignition but im sure they have something that accomplishes the same thing somewhere on the bike. But yeah none of that would even matter if theyre just throwing it into a van. No theft deterrent can protect against that other than locking it to a stationary object with a cable they dont feel like breaking through. Other than the fact that they were stealing your bike that is pretty funny, Id be amused and kind of impressed that they spent that much effort on it. But good luck with your efforts let us know how it works out.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:58 PM

Where do you live to have your bike stolen? I own a house in Phoenix so always had a garage when I lived there. Now I'm in Abilene, TX and soon moving to Rapid City, SD so I don't worry too much about theft. Knock on wood though, there are always people looking for the quick buck or just dying to be a-holes. Seems like most bikes around the DFW area have lo-jack.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:38 AM

@Nubby - I lived right in downtown Milwaukee in a warehouse converted into a loft. The bike was parked in an underground parking facility with a cover on it and I went on a 6000 mile road trip for 3 weeks. Came back and it was gone along with three other sport bikes. The two brand spankin new $40k harleys were still there of course. Damn 900lbs bikes!

The building even had keyfob access, but there must have been a friend of the gang member who helped scout the bikes. The gang was eventually caught and charged with stealing over 50 bikes, frame swapping and selling them down in Chicago...

That crap can happen anywhere....now I got my own garage so I don't have that problem, but Lo Jack is on my short list for sure. So cool! Just don't have $1k to blow on something that MIGHT come in handy some day. I'd rather spend that on new calipers or something...lol

Old 11-06-2010, 03:01 AM

yeah you cant get complacent this can happen to anyone anywhere. I live in a real nice neighborhood where crime is almost nonexistent but i still worry when its not garaged or 100% safe. Bikes are just too easy to take since theyre so small and light and everythings right out in the open if someone wants to hotwire it or whatever and ride off on it. I also never thought about this until I had to change my ignition but all someone has to do is buy a used ignition for the model bike they want to steal then just unplug the one on the bike and plug in the one they bought and its theirs. SHouldnt take more than 10 minutes and they have a couple thousand dollar bike because of a $100 ignition that they can use over and over again.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure a push button keyless start is possible. I have a remote start in my F4i which was a pita to get going. But if you put the bike in gear, it cuts off.