CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

DIY Keyless ignition/remote start

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 08:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Keyless ignition/remote start

Hi Guys n gals,

My fugly 'cane is currently sporting keyless entry and remote start (because I just hate having keys in an ignition on a bike) and I disconnected the original ignition switch and put a digital speedo on the top plate instead.

Plus the chicks love it.

To cut to the chase, the wireless thing-a-me-bob only cost me $20 on ebay and it works a treat. They start of life as a keyless entry central locking unlocker for cars, but are easily hacked into anything you want (like keyless ignition/remote start on a bike). If you leave the ignition on the bike you can always use that for a backup if something goes wrong.

I used something similar to this Car Remote Central Lock Locking Keyless Entry System | eBay UK

If you spend a few more bucks you will probably get a higher quality item (mine only has a range of a few meters so I will be looking to increase that pretty soon) but they all operate on the same principle. I did some work on the circuit board insde the device itself so mine is completely contained in the black box (it was super simple, but required soldering) or I could draw up a circuit which just used some external relays and crimp/spade connectors to make it completely fool proof.

So if anyone is interested we can buy some units and I'll take some pictures, and walk you through it!

Tim.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:22 PM

Two issues. First, I always park my bike in gear, so that's a problem. Second, on cold starts these bikes need full choke, so unless you engaged the choke when you last got off the bike, that's a problem.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:21 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ +1

Right on the money Paco , me too always in gear always choke in Maine / always cold

Old 05-31-2011, 03:41 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would stop them keys janglin' about though and scratching your triple tree.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:50 PM

The idea sounds cool , but it does pose a problem if its in gear , gas turned off , and the choke off , and then to ask the question , can it turn off the bike if someone hops on your bike and steals it while your waiting for it to warm up.
A digital Speedo / RPM gauge sounds really cool .

Old 05-31-2011, 05:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The unit would only turn the ignition on wouldn't it and not start the bike, so it wouldn't matter if it was in gear?!!! I think you still need to push th starter button.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by robbiebgraham
The unit would only turn the ignition on wouldn't it and not start the bike, so it wouldn't matter if it was in gear?!!! I think you still need to push th starter button.
Pretty much.

I have mine set so one button turns on, hold it down to start bike and another button turns off. I only ever use the remote start to show off, so I've usually left the bike in neutral and it's already warned up (not many people to impress in my garage on a cold morning...)

The real benefit is no keys.

I have a fob attached to my jacket inside pocket so I just hit the button as I approach bike. Then the opposite as I walk away.

I only set up the remote start because I was looking at the bike once day and realised all I had to do was connect one extrap wire and it would work...

Old 06-01-2011, 06:00 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This sounds like a great idea, I hate keys too. A full descrip and photos of the job being done would have been handy though....

Old 06-01-2011, 12:27 PM

I got a quesation, does the kill switch still work?

Old 06-02-2011, 12:51 AM

I have the Motogadget M-Lock on my funduro, works like a charm

Originally comes with a 50A relay for switching the mains. I combined this with a fuse panel relay kit from Easterbeaver.

You cant obviously remote start but makes for a nice add on gizmo, one can leave the original ignition switch in place to fool the thieves .

Quick Reply: DIY Keyless ignition/remote start