Im getting pulled into the Darkside

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im getting pulled into the Darkside

Im a Honda guy but the GSXR seems to be calling me. Convince me otherwise. Please. The rest is my story, it's not important unless you're wondering my motives for switching.

Last night my buddy flipped my 929 and wrote it off. I loved that bike 10 times as much as any girlfriend ive ever had. So like a girlfriend the best way to get over this loss is with a new one. I decided to go and look at some new litre bikes. I dont like kawi's at all and i think the new yamahas are uncomfortable and ugly personally (although i am interested in the new cross fire engine). So i go to the honda dealer. Twenty mins after i get there some lady asks me if i need help. She knows nothing about sport bikes. We're looking at an 08 1000 demo model with no extras and scuffs and scratches but nothing major. They tell me $15,559 (Canadian) with a $1500 rebate. $14,059 asking. I go to another dealer and leave after 30min of waiting (in a tiny showroom) when no one talks to me. Suzuki dealer is down the street so i check it out. Go in someone checks in with me in five minutes. The guy knows all about the gsxr and its history. I sit on an 09 gsxr 1000 bike feels great, sticker $13,599. Then he lets me sit on a 2008 gsxr 1000 show model no kms and lots of extras that include a pair of sexy yoshi pipes. Its heavier then the 09 but my 929 is heavier then both. Asking $12,000 including extras. Better service better price. I push my bike but honestly would i notice the performance difference between the two? I love Honda but i need some help in convincing myself that i should stay loyal.

P.S. My buddy is fine minus some road rash

Old 08-01-2009, 04:22 AM

Seriously, brand loyalty means very little to me. I've ridden all makes and all models of sportbikes and they all have their good points and they all have their bad points. Anyone that says Honda is better than all the rest is just oblivious to other bikes. They are all good bikes. But from a newer bike standpoint, I gotta say the cbr is the best looking of the ugly bikes. It all depends on what you like and what fits you better. But, you really won't know just by sitting on them or looking at them. If you can, you really need to drive em to decide. I had a real hard time before I bought my 05 1000RR between that and an R1. I drove a friends 04 R1 and didnt really like how peaky it was. It was lighter and looked better in my opinion, but the peakyness of the motor and its resistance to corner put the 1000RR just a bit ahead in my book. Plus I got the Repsol for 500 less than I could have gotten an R1.

And, the way I look at it. Honda doesnt give a crap about loyality with its race teams or its customers, so why should I be loyal to them? Unless I'm getting a sponsor payment, Im gonna ride what ever I want. It just happens to be a Honda right now.. well. its been a Honda for 10 years... but anyway, I think I made my point..........maybe not.

Either way, you might want to go to another Honda dealer and see what they have to offer. Sounds like the person you were talking may have been filling in and just reading the MSRP.. I can't imagine a left over going for that.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:13 AM

A couple of things....I hate to hear that the Honda dealerships didn't treat you well. That sucks, and there is no excuse. However, what really matters is the quality of the bike, and how good the service department treats you. Even in the best of times, all sales departments suck, and they are the enemy of the buyer. It doesn't really matter to me - I go into a big buy like that as if it were a battle. Them not waiting on me promptly will only make me fight them harder. Of course, past a certain point depending on my mood, I will walk out and not ever go back. However, I do see the service department as a completely different entity - and it usually is.

I don't think you can possibly buy a higher quality bike than a Honda. Others may be close, but you sound like a guy who keeps his bikes for a long time (929). You still see 929s and RC51s around...how many old models of other bikes do you see? To me, that says a LOT.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:12 AM

Brand loyalty goes only so far with me. Most motorcycle magazines agree that Suzuki makes better race bikes and Honda makes a better street bike, or one that's easier to live with on a day-to-day basis. I've only sat on a new CBR1000RR not ridden one, but it feels like a 600 it's so light. Bottom line is get whichever one you like and fits you the best.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy which ever you like and feel the most comfortable on.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:23 AM

i own both so i think i have a good idea about this. 08 cbr 1000rr and 08 gsxr 1000.

i LOVE my honda but truly enjoy my suzuki. they are very clearly two different bikes. my honda just begs to be wheelied for miles at a time. my suzuki just demands that i ride it as fast as possible from one point to another. both are amazing machines. there is no wrong choice here. i wish i could tell you the suzuki is a piece of **** but i cant. it is very competent and the styling is fantastic. the engine is just a friggin monster.

just make your choice based on preferrence. just do yourself a favor and get the extended warranty whichever one you get.