I DID IT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 01:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I DID IT!!!

After one month of deciding between the CBR 600 and CBR 1000 for my 1st bike. I ordered the CBR1000 today with Heli Bars and I am getting a Corbin seat. I am 34 and took the Safety class last year. I plan to ride it in a parking lot for about 2 weeks before I take it on the streets.

I heard about 50 reasons why I should go with the CBR1000 and 50 reasons why I should with the CBR600. My main concern is how sensitive is the throttle? I plan to respect it but I don't know if the thing to jump at the slightest touch. I plan to casually ride on back roads, I mainly bought the CBR1000 because of its looks...don't plan to race etc. Anyway, not having had a bike before, I have nothing to base my judgement other than the 250cc I learned on. Any advice, word of caution...definitely welcomed.

Old 06-25-2006, 01:27 AM
Default RE: I DID IT!!!

congradulations man. i also just bought a 1000rr today i pick mine up next saturday

Old 06-25-2006, 03:15 AM

The 1000rr is so much fun, I'm suprised they aren't banned yet!!
You'll smile ear to ear everytime you walk by it in the garage, everytime you start it, everytime you ride it....nothing like it in the world and its all yours

Old 06-25-2006, 04:47 AM

congrats on the 1000rr,
like siad before their is no better feeling in the world.my 2 cents worth. i have been riding most of my life form 80 to my goldwing to my 600rr i had to my 1000rr. sence 96 i have owned 8 different bikes . i reason for thee 600rr in 2003 was that i never had riden a crotch rocket before and believe me that is just what they are. you will not have any problems the 1000rr in quick and powerful. just a reminder in parking lots you tend to gather more speed then the parking lot is designed for, what i mean this bike wont even feel strong until about 40 mph and man that comes quick and after that top in first is about 86 mph so please be careful. this 1000rr will whillie at nothing in first and second gear so if you plan on pinning the throtle please cover the back brake. have lots of fun i no i do and be careful.

Old 06-25-2006, 09:31 AM

Congrats ! You will love your new bike. Take it easy until you get used to her. Other than that....make sure you have a good helmet and wear leathers when you ride. Enjoy !

Old 06-25-2006, 10:37 PM

A liter bike for your first ride? Good luck with that. You'll need it.

Old 06-26-2006, 05:11 AM

[sm=nono.gif] Be nice!

Good luck with your New ride man, be sure to post pics when you get it.

Old 06-26-2006, 03:09 PM

ORIGINAL: HighRevver

[sm=nono.gif] Be nice!

Why? So that his feelings don't get hurt? Don't be ridiculous. This has nothing to do with feelings, and everything to do with safety.

No one's trying to be mean here, just realistic. And any negative comments made are not for self-entertainment, but made out of concern.

Getting a 600cc bike as your very first ride is a bad idea, let alone a litre bike (especially if the purchase was made purely on looks ). He made a very poor decision, and he needs to know exactly why in order to survive.

To the OP : yes, the throttle is very sensitive, along with EVERY other input to the bike (breaks, steering, throttle, weight). "Planning" on respecting it is not the problem. All people plan on respecting the throttle, or staying safe and within their limits. The problem is error (i.e. "unplanned" input). As a new rider, you will make errors. A super sport bike will magnifiy your errors a thousand fold, which is why they are not recommended as first bikes. There are tons and tons of literature on the web describing all of the bad reasons for starting this way. I would suggest you read up on them.

Any advice? As harsh as it may sound, mine would be to sell it and get something else. I know that won't happen, so good luck, and stay as safe as you can.

Z.

Old 06-26-2006, 03:28 PM

ORIGINAL: zzz11

ORIGINAL: HighRevver

[sm=nono.gif] Be nice!

Why? So that his feelings don't get hurt? Don't be ridiculous. This has nothing to do with feelings, and everything to do with safety.

No one's trying to be mean here, just realistic. And any negative comments made are not for self-entertainment, but made out of concern.

Getting a 600cc bike as your very first ride is a bad idea, let alone a litre bike (especially if the purchase was made purely on looks ). He made a very poor decision, and he needs to know exactly why in order to survive.

To the OP : yes, the throttle is very sensitive, along with EVERY other input to the bike (breaks, steering, throttle, weight). "Planning" on respecting it is not the problem. All people plan on respecting the throttle, or staying safe and within their limits. The problem is error (i.e. "unplanned" input). As a new rider, you will make errors. A super sport bike will magnifiy your errors a thousand fold, which is why they are not recommended as first bikes. There are tons and tons of literature on the web describing all of the bad reasons for starting this way. I would suggest you read up on them.

Any advice? As harsh as it may sound, mine would be to sell it and get something else. I know that won't happen, so good luck, and stay as safe as you can.

Z.

don't take this the wrong way zzz's but you are but you are not entirely correct...the 1krr is not a hard bike to ride at all; and while I agree with you that no one's first bike should be any RR, it is possible and is not any more dangerous that any other sport bike, in fact it may be easier to ride than most; the 1krr is a very stable mount, hesd helps cover your mistakes, and the bike has enough torque to be ridden in any gear safely....as for his plan of riding in a parking lot....not so sure that i do that for two weeks, if he has his license, take some time to ride around before getting into traffic, i talking a day or two tops....keep in mind, most new riders drop their bikes doing low speed stuff....the throttle isn't that bad, just watch it in 1 & 2....above all, respect is one thing, being afraid is entirely another...you cannot be afraid of this bike, if you are, you should not buy it....neverousness is to be expected but fear is a good way to hurt or killed....

Old 06-26-2006, 04:53 PM

Yeah, didn't Sport Rider call it the a Liter bike for beginners?? Now a days, everyone wants the fastest most powerfull as a first ride. I can't comprehend my CBR1000RR being my first bike. If one insists on having any modern sport bike a la CBR600 or 1000 as a first bike, they just need to be very weary of the power.
Being that Hayden, Zemke, and Duhamel, are not on this forum, I'm confident in saying that these bikes limitations are far beyond most of us. RESPECT THE POWER!!!!