I am completely lost!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I am completely lost!

Alright, so I have a 2008 cbr1000rr with a power commander and ignition module (those are the only two mods I have that mess with the fuel). I just came back from a 450 mile ride, turned my bike off for literally 4-5 minutes and tried to turn it back on. When I rotated the key to the run position I noticed that all the lights on my gauge cluster stay permanently on, my headlights however are both out, and my turn signals all stay on (but not flashing). On top of that I cannot hear my fuel pump priming. I tried turning the bike on anyway, and it did for 1 second but since the fuel pump is not primed it immediately turned off on me. I checked my oil and realized it was very low for some reason though it hasn't been long since my last oil change (just under 3k) So I'm guessing I'm burning oil. I also checked the fuses disconnected the battery for about 10 minutes and reconnected it, did an oil change and tried resetting the kill switch on and off. Nothing has changed, I am completely lost, can I put my bike on dealer mode and see if it gives me an error code? Or is there still something I should try? Any advice would be highly appreciated, thanks guys.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:21 PM

hmm, thats very odd. Have you tried to disconnect the powercommander or ignition module? Also, sometimes simply unplugging and plugging the them back in works. I've heard of a few cases where the connector to the power commander has worked its way loose and isnt making a good connection and creating oddball situations. But, I really don't know what it would have to do with your situation, but I would start there since those are the only things that are not stock.

the oil loss is common with that model. At least thats what I've read anyway.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:12 AM

Interesting...

Old 11-18-2009, 12:39 PM

yup so I tried it all. checked every fuse, disconnected the gauge cluster, disconnected the power commander and ignition module, disconnected the battery, checked all the connections on the fuel pump, checked the bank angle sensor... and a few other things i can't remember. I threw in the towel yesterday and took it to the dealer, I have the extended warranty, so that should cover it, I'll let you guys know what the prob was when i get it back.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by blkmrkt_lung
yup so I tried it all. checked every fuse, disconnected the gauge cluster, disconnected the power commander and ignition module, disconnected the battery, checked all the connections on the fuel pump, checked the bank angle sensor... and a few other things i can't remember. I threw in the towel yesterday and took it to the dealer, I have the extended warranty, so that should cover it, I'll let you guys know what the prob was when i get it back.
if you have a warranty then why would you even tinker with it. seriously, i dont understand people with that do this. i love to tinker and i also bought the extended warranty but if i have ANY problems it goes right back to them. in doing this i keep myself from messing anything up, keep them from saying i messed anything up, dont cost myself any more money and get the full value for mywarranty.

would you go to a restaurant, buy a raw steak at retail then take it home to cook it?

Old 11-18-2009, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by TBagr
if you have a warranty then why would you even tinker with it. seriously, i dont understand people with that do this. i love to tinker and i also bought the extended warranty but if i have ANY problems it goes right back to them. in doing this i keep myself from messing anything up, keep them from saying i messed anything up, dont cost myself any more money and get the full value for mywarranty.

would you go to a restaurant, buy a raw steak at retail then take it home to cook it?

Exactly! You wouldnt have lost any sleep over it. With a warranty, its the dealers problem, not yours.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by jimbo69ny
Exactly! You wouldnt have lost any sleep over it. With a warranty, its the dealers problem, not yours.
Hmm... I think it all depends on your view and what you value more, if you just want your bike fixed then yes you are correct, but if you want a learning experience, to solve your own problem, and know that you took care of your baby yourself, well that's different.

This is a perfect example because. the mechanics at the dealer told me that it was a loose battery terminal. So, my happy *** took the bike from the shop yesterday and went riding, I got about 10 miles away, when I decided to put the high beam on, and as soon as i did that the bike died in the middle of a really busy street ( I live in LA). So here I am waiting for my bike to get picked up yet again to get it taken to the dealer... again. Well, at least now I'm pretty sure its an electrical short.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:40 PM

how is it a perfect example? you were not able to fix it and the dealer is now going to have to do some serious checking into the issue. it APPEARS that it is something you would not be able to diagnose or solve on your own. just give it to them and let them earn the money you already paid them.